Works under general supervision to provide for the security and welfare of dependent children while under the care of Juvenile Court of Memphis and Shelby County, Tennessee.
EEOC CODE: 40
1. Three (3) years of experience in Care/Custody with children or adults; and
2. Graduation from accredited College or University with a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice, Psychology, Sociology or closely related field; or
3. Equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
4. (Experience as a Detention Officer preferred.)
5. (PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED)
1. Must be 21 years of age at time of application
2. Be of high moral character.
3. Pass a background investigation. (Will be screened for misdemeanor/felony record); Must not have been convicted of, or plead guilty to, or entered plea of no contest to any felony charge, or any violation of federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, crimes/abuse against juvenile, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor, or control substance.
4. Must pass a written psychological examination administered by an agency designated by Juvenile Court of Memphis and Shelby County.
5. Must pass a drug test.
6. Must have a valid Tennessee Driver's License.
7. Must be available for working shifts, weekends and on call.
8. Discharge from Armed Forces must be honorable.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supervise, train and assign personnel to the various posts in the detention facility.
2. Prepare work schedules and assignments of personnel.
3. Monitor all activities of personnel and detainees.
4. Maintain required log sheets, receive and provide shift briefings.
5. Maintain security and order in accordance with established policies and procedures.
6. Supervise movement of detainees and maintain control of detainees in area inside and outside of detention facility.
7. Maintain control and discipline and prevent introduction of contraband into the facility.
8. Observe, document and report misbehavior of detainees.
9. Patrol quarters and other areas of facility at specified and irregular times.
10. Assist in the admittance and release of detainees.
11. Supervise recreational activities and related programs.
12. Supervise work crews within the detention areas.
13. Supervise all sanitation, maintenance, and housekeeping of detention areas.
14. Report maintenance problems and ensure general upkeep of equipment in assigned area.
15. Process medical requests and assists in treatment as needed.
16. Handle emergencies.
17. Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Ability to perform and supervise all duties and responsibilities of Detention Monitor I.
2. Thorough knowledge of established policies regarding supervision of employees and detainees.
3. Ability to train, schedule and supervise all assigned personnel.
4. Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with others and to build an effective team.
5. Possess good communication skills and ability to write meaningful reports.
6. Knowledge of the needs and psychology of dependent children.
7. Ability to efficiently analyze and make quick, sound decisions in a given situation.
8. Knowledge of CPR and first aid, and ability to handle emergencies.
9. Ability to direct activities of juveniles and gain their respect.
10. Ability to perform general office work at a moderate skill level.
11. Thorough knowledge of security procedures and systems, and their implementation.
12. Knowledge of civil and constitutional rights of detainees.
13. Ability to understand and withstand provocative behavior without becoming punitive.
14. Must possess initiative, sound judgment, and a positive approach in the work environment.
15. Ability to maintain good working relationship with co-workers.
16. Ability to deal with the public and the staff courteously and tactfully.
17. Knowledge of modern counseling techniques.
18. Ability to use a computer in a pc network environment.
616 Adams Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee 38105
Shelby County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national origin or handicap status
Shelby County Government participates in E-Verify
Equal Opportunity Employer
Memphis and Shelby County Health Department - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard -
Shelby County Health Care Corporation, dba Regional Medical Center at Memphis (The MED), provides a variety of health care services to the...