Works closely with the Sheriff to ensure that the main jail and annex are maintained and run according to Department of Corrections rules and regulations. Responsible for the safety of the public and the institutions. Administers the delivery of constitutional services, rights and the opportunity for program participation. Administrator is responsible for the overall administration of the jail division of the Sheriff’s Office.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises all activities of the jail including supervision of jail employees and oversight of inmate issues.
- Maintains open and cooperative communications with the County Attorney’s office, Court Administration, Probation, and other branches of law enforcement.
- Completes a wide variety of planning, budgeting, and general administrative duties related to the daily management of the jail facility.
- Monitors and approves jail division budget activity throughout the year.
- Supervises the jail’s contracts for services including food service, laundry services, and correctional health care.
- Design, creates, and oversees the implementation of training plans including initial new hire orientation and annual training plans for jail staff personnel.
- Reviews and updates the Rice County Jail and Annex policy and procedures and implements changes as needed.
- Develops, implements, and supervises an effective inmate classification system.
- Reviews detainee concerns/complaints and evaluates requests for medical attention and schedules appointments as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The job requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminology, Sociology, Psychology, Public Administration, Business Management or related field and five years related corrections and supervisory experience, or equivalent. Sixteen hours of continuing education is required per year.
Hours: 8:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M., Monday - Friday, 40 hours per week and on call 24 hours per day.