SERTA MATTRESS-NATIONAL BEDDING COMPANY
Assists with maintaining Company’s waste and scrap recycling programs. Collects scrap material from machine operators, compresses and/or bundles waste materials using baler in a safe manner. Maintains clean production areas, rest rooms, break rooms and offices as assigned following proper safety procedures. Assists with other material handling duties as assigned.
*1 Cleans production, break rooms, office work areas and other areas as assigned throughout the day. Removes debris and refuse. Sweeps and mops floors and carpets throughout the work day.
*2. Collects scrap material from sewing room department including quilters, flangers, sergers; the production department including mattress build, tape edge; and from any other area in the Plant that generates scrap on a regular basis throughout the day in order to keep up with scrap generated in work areas that related to JIT production flow.
*3. Places scrap materials in baler and operate baler using safe practices including never entering the baler.
*4. Bales scrap using baling wire when the baler is full; and uses forklift or pallet jack as required to perform the function.
*5. Weighs the baled scrap and identifies the weight is and has removed from baler. Prepares recyclable materials for shipping, and prepares baler machine to receive new scrap material.
*6. Maintains clear exits and building entryways, and assists with basic grounds upkeep as needed.
*7. Provides basic maintenance support including making minor equipment repairs, cleaning and lubricating parts or equipment, assisting with light plumbing, replacing light bulbs, cleaning filters, and other preventive maintenance support. Maintains documentation as needed regarding work and maintenance performed.
*8. Performs various material handling duties as assigned.
9. Maintains adequate inventory of cleaning supplies and requests new supplies as needed.
10. Participates in Plant Committee meetings with regard to Waste Prevention Program and the Safety Committee as requested. Assists with special projects as requested.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
1. Must be at least age 18 to operator machinery
2. Proficiency in reading and writing English
3. One year of relevant experience
1. High school graduate or equivalent
2. Good mechanical aptitude
3. Familiarity with safety programs in manufacturing environment
4. Previous certification for driving a forklift
1. Effective communication and interpersonal skills
2. Effective organization skills along with ability to work at a pace necessary to keep up with the JIT production flow
3. Proficiency and basic ability to read and write English
4. Ability to interpret and support standards, policies and procedures established by Serta, or Federal, State or local agencies
Work involves exposure to usual hazards found in a manufacturing environment. Work involves exposure to various cleaning solvents. Work involves regular lifting, pushing and pulling. Work also involves occasional crawling, climbing with some overhead work.
SUPERVISED BY: Plant Manager and Maintenance Supervisor/Coordinator