The role is for a Java developer working in the Pricing group within the US Centralized Pricer IT team. The candidate will be responsible for the design, development and implementation of a large-scale, multi-tiered Java application called Centralized Pricing (CP) as part of a global team.
Centralized Pricing is a global, high-performance, real-time pricing and electronic trading platform used by several trading desks across multiple asset classes. The US Treasury and Agency Trading team is currently building out functionality for the local trading desks that focuses on Treasury and Agency bonds, among other things. This individual would be focused on this ongoing rollout and associated requirements, although work for other US desks (e.g., US Swaps desk) is likely in the future.
The Pricing team focuses on CP's core price generation capabilities, using in-house analytics libraries for basic computations and extending that functionality to specific businesses. The pricing component within CP is central to all other components as it is ultimately the price that feeds to other components used for eTrading, price contribution to ECNs, alogrithmic trading services, and is displayed to the traders on their desktop. Signficant attention is given to calculation accuracy and performance as the fixed income market moves towards a lower latency environment.
The global CP team contains around 80 developers and consists of development centers in Stamford, London, Tokyo, India and Singapore. The CP system is written in Java on the server side with a C#/WPF GUI and Sybase database.
Despite the complexity of the system we have a fast development turnaround, underpinned by a very strong development team. Our release lifecycle consists for frequent small releases based on an Agile development methods with a great deal of responsibility placed on the developers
- Solid understanding of the fundamentals of vanilla Java programming - Multithreading, OO, distributed computing, message-based architectures.
- Java OO server-side (not EJB or Web) development (4+ years)
- Experienced a structured environment such as software house or large team.
- Application development involving an understanding of the user domain, rather than just implementing technical solutions.
- Proven experience of complete project lifestyle.
- Development experience on a large complex codebase
- Experience of working and developing software in a real-time environment.
- Fixed Income derivative pricing knowledge (e.g., swaps)
- Front office experience
- Electronic Trading experience
- Improving development practices for team as a whole
- Fixed Income knowledge
- Strong interest in financial products and eager to develop a career in technology in the front office of an investment bank.
- Takes ownership of issues and manages them appropriately.
- Genuine interest in teamwork. Proven record of making improvements for the team as a whole, assisting and working with others and aligning development work with team objectives.
- Understanding that application development is more than purely coding.
RBS Insurance - 18 months ago