DonorsChoose.org engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to do something about educational inequity. Fast Company recently named DonorsChoose.org one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World alongside Apple, Google, Netflix—the first time a charity has made the list. GOOD Magazine highlighted DonorsChoose.org as one of 30 Places We Want to Work.
Launched in 2000 and headquartered in New York City, DonorsChoose.org now has 200,000 teacher-users and 600,000 donors who have helped 6 million students from low-income communities receive $100 million of books, art supplies, field trips, and other resources.
We offer our employees: a competitive salary with bonus potential, comprehensive benefits including employer paid premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage, transit benefits, 401(k), 5 weeks paid vacation plus national holidays, a professional development budget, casual workplace and opportunities for glory on our staff kickball team (t-shirt included)!
DonorsChoose.org is seeking an energetic, team-oriented, and self-motivated Java Developer to improve the user experience of our unique philanthropic marketplace. This position will play a central role in an agile non-profit organization that is serious about technology. The Java Developer will be joining a charity with deep private-sector management experience, and our team is smart, committed, and passionate, and the work environment is informal, fast-paced, and fun.
Reporting to the CTO, the Java Developer will:
* Estimate and deliver on rapid implementation schedules--without compromising smart development goals and principles--to build web functionality that is functional, fast, and scalable.
* Design, implement, and maintain new functionality for use by teachers, donors, and staff.
* Keep a high-volume transaction-driven web system running by troubleshooting and fixing critical bugs.
The right candidate is a top-notch contributor with a proven track record of success, who will be comfortable in DonorsChoose.org's start-up atmosphere and ready to play a key technical role on a small, dedicated team.
* Experience building robust functionality for commercial web sites and applications.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Exceptional problem-solving skills and enthusiasm for tackling diverse development challenges.
* Strong sense of ownership and detail-orientation throughout the web engineering lifecycle.
* Superb self-management skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment with little supervision.
* Strong SQL skills, experience with O/R mapping tools like Hibernate is a plus.
* Excellent Java and extra credit for experience with Spring framework.
* Experience integrating 3rd-party web applications, services, and components.
Nice to have: HTML, CSS, JS, or AJAX.
* Passion for delivering high-quality web functionality on aggressive schedules is crucial.
When applying for this position, please be sure to include a short introductory cover letter with your resume submission for full consideration.
New York City, NY, US
Omidyar Networks - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard