Higher One Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ONE) is a leading company focused on creating cost-saving efficiencies for higher education institutions and providing high-value services to students. Higher One offers a wide array of technological services on campus, ranging from streamlining the institution’s performance analytics and financial aid refund processes to offering students innovative banking services, tuition payment plans, and the basics of financial management. Higher One works closely with colleges and universities to allocate resources more efficiently in order to provide a higher quality of service and education to students.
Founded in 2000 on a college campus by students, Higher One now serves more than half of the higher education market, providing its services to over 1,250 campuses and 10.5 million students at distinguished public and private institutions nationwide.
At Higher One, we believe that every employee is critical to our success! Our innovative services depend on the energy, values, hard work and dedication of our employees. As we continue to grow, we look for others who are also committed to retaining a small-company feel while moving us to the next level!
The ideal candidate will be clever, motivated, excited to tackle new problems, and have a technical background such as a computer science, engineering degree and/or years of hands on experience getting into the thick of things. Higher One has taken a best of breed approach in the use of information technologies to meet our organizational and business needs. We have a wide variety of open source, home grown and purchased systems and applications that are tailored to the specific needs of our internal and external customers. We are looking to find an individual who can creatively use whatever technology necessary to solve problems faced by business users and customers.
Java Software Engineer
About the Position
Higher One is currently seeking a Java Software Engineer to enhance, maintain, troubleshoot, and handle technical escalations in our OneDisburse suite of web based applications. This position will be based at our New Haven, Connecticut office. We’re seeing an individual who is looking to begin (or continue to grow in) a career in Software Engineering, with an opportunity to learn and grow as a developer. The ideal candidate will be an independent and focused developer who enjoys the challenge of working to reach a high level of technical competence while obtaining solid hands-on experience on a wide variety of continually evolving technologies and platforms.
· Handle technical escalations from external customers and internal teams
· Work to reduce the root causes of technical escalations and the need for manual intervention
· Perform advanced troubleshooting and debugging across several web based applications
· Work closely with other members of the Development team, as well as Quality Assurance and Project Management teams
· Participate in the full software development lifecycle
· Assist with designing, developing and maintaining our web based applications
· Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent experience
· At least 1-2 years of software development experience with object oriented languages (experience with Java programming required)
· Working knowledge of SQL and relational databases (Oracle experience a plus)
· Experience in open source software and web technologies like web services (REST/SOAP), XML, Servlets, etc a plus
· Good technical diagnostic expertise including problem investigation, reproduction, and resolution skills a must
· Ability to work under pressure, with aggressive timelines
· Assertive self-starting attitude, with the ability to work independently and in a team-based environment
· Exceptional communications (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
· Has the ability to acquire new skills efficiently and thrives in a collaborative team environment
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending, 401K, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability
- Flexible work hours
- Casual dress
- 20 Paid Time Off Days per year
- 8 Holidays per year
- Fun events
- Free Lunch
- Free Fitness Center
The higher ambition at Higher One Holdings is to facilitate higher education payments. The company provides payment processing and...