We are currently looking for a talented Journal Media Manager to join our PLOS ONE team within our rapidly growing San Francisco office.
The Journal Media Manager is the hub of media activities for the PLOS ONE editorial staff. This role will identify research content; generate content related press releases and blog posts from articles set to publish on the journal. As part of the Publishing Services group, this role works with staff editors, production staff and key media professionals such as journalists, authors, press officers, and bloggers.
The Journal Media Manager should have a demonstrated understanding of what drives the world of science news and be able develop strong partnerships with key media outlets to place stories about the journal articles. A significant component of the role will be keeping relevant media workflow processes and related documentation up-to-date and at optimal effectiveness. These require a Journal Media Manager with experience as a strong science writer, possessing solid project management and administrative skills, in addition to a proven ability of promoting scientific research to the scientific community and the public.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Writing content related press releases and reviewing content related releases from external sources, editing for accuracy and comprehension, and positioning releases for target outlet and audience.
- Fielding press inquiries. Managing and optimizing relationships with press contacts.
- Reviewing and evaluating accepted research for potential media interest.
- Tracking papers through the publication process, liaising with internal departments to ensure papers publish on time, as well as, managing the embargo process.
- Contributing to ONE multimedia channels such as the community blog and Twitter.
- Chairing the weekly press paper selection meeting.
- Developing media training and materials for authors, press officers, and internal staff as needed.
- Researching and utilizing social media tools; identifying creative applications.
- Overseeing the journal’s media tracking; monitoring and measuring media coverage; and communicating findings to the larger ONE group.
- Participating in cross-departmental press team meetings and acting as a journal representative in company-wide projects related to the Media Manager role.
- Mentoring junior staff assisting with media tasks.
Please send your application including a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and use the job title as the subject of your email. Please also attach writing samples, including press releases, articles, or blog posts covering a science subject and your earliest available start date with your application.
- Bachelor’s degree in science or journalism is required. An advanced degree in these disciplines is preferred.
- 3+ years professional experience writing for the public in the scientific disciplines is required (including 1-2 years of professional science journalism experience, and proven ability to independently create and pitch press releases to various media outlets).
- Excellent communication skills under time pressure; consistently able to meet the demands of many ongoing deadlines. Proven project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly comprehend science-based research information.
- Knowledge of STM publishing and the peer-review process are preferred.
- Able to work independently and demonstrate initiative.
- Strong collaboration skills. Maturity and tact.
- Technically proficient; hands-on skills with social media, uploading of video files to Internet channels, etc.