Journeyman Inside Machinists perform a variety of assembly and machining processes in a shop environment. This is a skilled position responsible for carrying out repairs, modifications, and manufacturing new parts as it relates to ship repair and modernization. Work includes small and large assembly, machining of steel, alloys and ship assemblies to blueprint specifications using conventional lathes, mills, VTL's, HBM's, Grinders, as well as programmable machines. Inside machinists require precision layout, measuring and mathematic skills to calculate dimensions and tolerances. Machinists are also responsible for disassembling, assembling, testing and inspecting components for efficiency to ensure proper performance. Performs additional related tasks as assigned, some of which may become essential to the position.
Required Skills and Education:
Required education: High School/GED
• Minimum 5+ years shipyard or equal experience in a Manufacturing environment (Tool and Die, Aerospace, etc)
• Tolerances to be within .002". Offsite machining and large shafting (i.e. Ship Propulsion) experience required
• Must be able to pass written Inside Machinist Journeyman exam
• Must be able to read prints, manufacturing parts from drawings and samples
• Must be able to read precision tools (i.e: micrometers and verniers)
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Rapid Gate pass
• Must be able to use hand tools and power tools safely and efficiently
• Must be flexible to working all shifts (1st, 2nd, 3rd)
• Must have own tools
Preferred Skills and Education:
• General knowledge of ship layout and ability to read technical manuals
• Portable Machining a plus
• Shipyard Repair experience
About BAE Systems Support Solutions:
BAE Systems is a premier global defense, aerospace and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Support Solutions (S2) sector provides a wide range of products and services, including engineering, systems integration, ship repair, and readiness & sustainment for military and commercial customers throughout the product life cycle, anywhere around the world. This sector is headquartered in Washington, D.C. Core capabilities include:
• Expertise as a leading provider of non-nuclear ship repair and overhaul services
• Sustainment services to extend the viability of existing land and maritime platforms at home and in theater, while modernizing to meet evolving threats
• Experienced partner providing seamless, onsite management of military and government customer operations
• High-volume producer of protective and load-carrying gear for military personnel
People are the greatest asset in any Company. BAE Systems is committed to a high performance culture and provides an environment that challenges our employees to be remarkable and obtain their full potential.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Females. Minorities. Veterans. Disabled
BAE Systems - 4 months ago
copy to clipboard
BAE Systems is the premier trans-Atlantic defense and aerospace company, delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and...