The basic function of the Junior Mechanical Engineer position is to work with more senior staff members in the development of plans and specifications on a number of concurrent design projects. Apply engineering theories and concepts learned in college to design projects.
Summary of Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs entry level professional engineering tasks in the mechanical discipline under the supervision of more senior staff members in order to develop design documents.
- May obtain field data by conducting field visits to project sites both in state and out of state. Documents existing conditions. May require overnight travel.
- Solves standard engineering problems.
- May communicate with clients or architects to resolve issues with engineering designs.
- Obtains knowledge of building codes and stays current with building code changes.
- Performs equipment takeoffs for cost estimating purposes.
- Is able to design and lay out routine portions of a project using AutoCAD MEP or other means.
- Works with more senior engineers to determine the most appropriate concept for the engineering system being design or re-designed.
- May take other engineers’ rough plan mark-ups and creates final design documents.
- Perform engineering calculations as well as operate various software packages related to various portions of the design package as directed by more senior staff members.
- Using knowledge of the kinds of projects the firm designs, is able to specify portions of the engineering system from catalogs or other resources. This typically involves the application of special knowledge to design effective engineering solutions
- Performs CAD functions proficiently in the mechanical discipline and will use AutoCAD MEP software to transfer design concepts to a format acceptable to the client, architect and/or construction company.
Required Education and Skills:
- Must have a four-year college degree in engineering with some cooperative educational experience or have a minimum of five years of on-the-job experience in the consulting engineering field including design and development of engineering plans and specifications in his/her technical specialty.
- Must have an understanding of the engineering principles in the mechanical discipline he/she is designing.
- Must be proficient in the operation of a computer and AutoCAD.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
RDK offers a comprehensive benefits package which currently includes a 401(k) plan, bonus opportunities, affordable health and dental insurance, company paid life insurance and disability benefits, generous paid time off policy and flextime.
RDK Engineers - 4 months ago