The Climate Corporation’s mission is to help all the world’s people and businesses manage and adapt to climate change. To achieve our mission, we have built a unique technology platform to enable, for the first time, the real-time pricing and purchasing of customizable weather insurance. Managing over 200 TB of data, including 34 trillion+ weather simulation data points, 150 billion soil type observations, and more than 3 million daily weather measurements, we are one of the largest users of Amazon Web Services.
The Climate Corporation is focused on the enormous challenge and opportunity of protecting the $3 trillion global agriculture industry from the financial impact of adverse weather – the cause of over 90 percent of crop loss – with fully automated weather insurance products. We are also building web and mobile applications that unleash the power of our unique data and analyses to help farmers manage their daily work with field-level weather and crop insights.
At The Climate Corporation, leaving a mark on the world is in our DNA; we want to make a lasting and meaningful real-world impact. We relish big problems because they are the most interesting to tackle, the most rewarding, and typically, the most valuable to solve. We also thrive on finding the possible in the impossible.
If you are the best at what you do, you like solving interesting problems, and you are looking for like-minded people dedicated to having a major impact on the world, we are eager to talk with you.
See our video about what it’s like to work at The Climate Corporation: http://vimeo.com/63381109
Jr. Software Engineer
This is a unique opportunity to leverage big data and cloud computing services to produce a comprehensive and multifaceted view of the Earth using weather data, agricultural statistics, geological surveys, and satellite images.
You will own some of the team’s automated data services and APIs, and create tools that facilitate interactive and visual data exploration.
What you will do:
Design, document, and maintain easy to use APIs and DSLs that facilitate access to data and metadata for scientists and engineers alike, including interactive tools for ad-hoc data exploration and visualization
Help maintain the operational integrity of the critical data stream that drives the company’s applications
Tackle a wide variety of engineering problems that continually push the boundaries of available solutions
Work closely with product management, scientists, and fellow engineers to create highly reliable and scalable software systems
What you bring to the table:
Degree in CS or related technical field, or equivalent
Relevant work experience, internships, or demonstrable contributions to open source or Github projects
Strong knowledge of at least one compiled language and one scripting or functional language (extra points for Python or Clojure)
Knowledge of software engineering and server-side Internet technologies
Effective all-round engineer who writes well-structured, easily maintainable, well-documented code
Analytical and detail-oriented thinker who takes delight in choosing the right data structures and design patterns
Proficient in a Unix/Linux environment
What We Offer:
Our team is composed of some of the most brilliant interdisciplinary minds in the industry. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible product and experience for our customers.
Competitive salary, excellent benefits, and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- We provide meals and a large assortment of snacks, drinks, fruits, coffees, and teas to help you get through the day
- Spend 25% of your time (2 solid weeks out of 8) exploring personally compelling topics through independent research/development work
- Company sponsored outings, including go-kart races, kayaking, holiday yacht parties, and sporting events, etc.
- We sponsor hackathons, meetup groups, networking events, tech-talks, and conference trips. If you want to get involved in the tech community, we'll support your efforts
- We encourage all employees to better understand our customers by getting out of the office and hearing firsthand from the agents and farmers our products serve
- Energetic idea-driven work environment with an exciting culture
- Exciting world-changing opportunity - we are solving problems that have a massive impact on the world
- A driven, talented team that aims to make a large-scale impact through an innovative technology platform
The Climate Corporation - 10 months ago
copy to clipboard -