People For the American Way is a nationwide advocacy organization that mobilizes its members and activists to fight for public policies that reflect the values of freedom, fairness, and equal opportunity; to champion constitutional protections and civil rights; to hold public officials accountable to those standards; and to promote strong democratic institutions, including a federal judiciary that upholds individual rights. The affiliated People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network.
The Junior Accountant works in the national office in Washington, D.C. under the direction of the CFO. This position provides assistance in the finance department for affiliated 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organization and is located in Washington, DC.
- Process vendor invoices, utilizing appropriate accounting codes.
- Recommend payments to the CFO for timely processing.
- Maintain files of paid vendor invoices.
- Reconcile accounts payable balances with vendor statements, researching any discrepancies; gather information needed to process invoices in a timely way.
- Serve as accounts payable liaison to vendors and staff members; provide timely responses to telephone and written inquiries regarding invoices.
- Participate in the preparation of daily and special reports and schedules as directed by the CFO.
- Prepare monthly bank and general ledger account reconciliations, as needed.
- Administer online project modules for funder reports.
- Staff reception desk one hour daily and act as back when necessary.
- Provide back-up payroll functions performed by Senior Financial Accountant.
- Assist with other projects, functions and activities as assigned.
- Associates degree in accounting and/or 2-3 years accounting work experience.
- Well organized; accurate with numbers and details.
- Computer proficiency, including experience with Excel and computerized accounting systems; Microsoft Solomon 6.5 or Microsoft Dynamics SL experience preferred; and experience with financial reporting applications, such as Microsoft FrX, desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to manage frequent deadlines and competing priorities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Public interest commitment.