Americans for the Arts is the nation's leading nonprofit organization for advancing the arts in America. With more than 50 years of service, it is dedicated to representing and serving local communities and creating opportunities for every American to participate in and appreciate all forms of the arts.
ABOUT THE JOB
• Do you enjoy working with people, helping them to overcome their fear of technology to use data and data management as a powerful tool?
• Would you describe yourself as someone who loves to solve problems and is self directed learner always looking for new ways to tackle complex scenarios?
• Do want to put your skills to use for a meaningful cause?
• Would you like to be part of a small but passionate team striving to demonstrate the power of good data to make informed decisions, streamline work, and build success of the organization's programs?
If your answer to these questions is YES, we have a full-time position (with GREAT benefits) for you. Americans for the Arts Marketing, Communications, and Technology team is looking for another set of hands to join us in delivering a continually improved experience for our staff to partner in building a database that works for our organizational needs. You will join a supportive team of active learners. You will work closely with departments to establish their information needs, defining technical requirements and procedures for the database to help staff perform their work, defining and building reports, pulling complex and simple queries, and training staff in database use and procedures. Your success will be defined by your ability to apply your technical knowledge of SQL and SQL tools to further the use of the database, build collaborative and productive relationships with staff, and to be proactive and anticipate organization-wide needs.
What You’ll Be Doing
• Managing Avectra netForum database to maintain the integrity of data to ensure that systems and procedures are taught, understood, and practiced consistently
• Creating and running database queries for ad-hoc information retrieval as regularly requested through our help desk ticketing system
• Answering various database related help desk tickets submitted by staff, meeting standards outline in your yearly performance goals which include turn-around time and level of communication provided for status updates.
• Developing standard database reports and customize base-line netForum report, using SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
• Proactively anticipating problems and acting to prevent them; evaluating system performance issues and implementing solutions
• Creating user accounts and managing database user security
• Researching, proposing, testing, and implementing improvements to netForum to expand the functionality and effectiveness of the database. Such things could include but are not limited to:
• Utilizing the netForum Toolkit module to make changes to forms and wizards
• Creating new extender tables, forms, and other tools to expand the data captured
• Making adjustment to netForum settings and SQL expressions to improve and expand front end query results
• Using SSRS, Visual Studio, netForum reporting server, and adjusting netForum settings to improve, expand, and create reports
• Performing manual updates of information in the database as needed
• Empowering and training staff about database-related needs, including updating data with accuracy and consistency to uphold business rules, performing simple queries, running reports, and answering user questions
• Working with staff to set policies and procedures to strategically code lists of prospects, partners, and stakeholders added to netForum for better data analyst and market segmentation
• Understanding the cross module functions of netForum to determine the impact of database changes on other systems and processes
• Writing and updating Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), end user software documentation, and training materials including quick reference guides
• Leading and building regular work plans to test applied netForum service packs and upgrades to ensure data integrity and functionality of the database. This task will require you to:
• Create SQL scripts to analyze data and execute test scripts
• Test all routine functions of the database currently in use
• Run reports and queries to verify accuracy
• Anticipate a minimum of 1 annual database upgrade and a minimum of 7 service pack upgrades per calendar year
• Troubleshoot advanced netFORUM problems as they arise, submit and follow-up on help desk tickets to Avectra ensuring timely resolution of database problems and anomalies
• Networking and establishing relationships with Avectra staff and member of the netForum user's group community to solicit support and learn best practices
• Broad experience working within a nonprofit/association environment applying database tools to the functions and processes of Accounting, Membership, Fundraising, Events
Leadership Skills You Put to Use
• Natural born teacher who thrives on guiding staff about the possibilities our organizational database holds for enhancement of their work to reach constituents
• People person who enjoys working with others and has patience and perseverance to work through problems as staff struggle to understand complexities of data management
• Multi-tasker who thrives in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment is a must
• Proactive, problem-solving, detail oriented, and a self-motivated
• Ability to work cooperatively, creatively, and flexibly to successfully launch joint projects
• An entrepreneurial attitude and a sense of urgency toward meeting deadlines
• A strong attention to detail even when faced with impeding deadlines
• Support the mission and vision of Americans for the Arts by championing and inspiring the broader use of our CRM system.
Other Skills We'd Love to Hear About
• Your work in fast-moving workplace collaborating with creative and demanding colleagues who are always working towards greater innovation but may need help understanding the link between solid data mining and their program's success.
• Work you've initiated to improve the use of database services to advance the mission and strategic plan of your organization
• A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in a non profit or association environment
• Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Database Management, Computer Science, or a related field required
• Knowledge of AMS and CRM systems and demonstratable knowledge of Avectra netFORUM
• Technical expertise in SQL 2008, Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is necessary to perform minimum requirements of the job
• Advance MS Excel skills required
• Ability to be a team player and work well with others
• Dedication to quality and accuracy
• Effective communication with technical and non-technical team members
• Demonstrated experience managing systems in hosted environments
• Prior association/nonprofit experience preferred
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects
• Strong communications skills and the ability to bring teams of people together to accomplish a common goal
• Experience developing positive working relationships with vendors to accomplish project goals
• A positive attitude and an earnest interest in providing good customer service to our members, partners, and fellow staff members
• A commitment to advancing the arts in America
Benefits and Perks
• Casual Fridays
• A predictable work schedule that will keep you busy and challenged during the day, but will rarely require you to work evenings or weekends.
• Twelve days paid vacation first two years of employment, 15 days in third year and 20 days in fifth year and beyond with the ability to carryover your full years vacation to the following year
• Twelve sick days per year with the ability to maintain up to 20 days in your accrual balance
• Three personal days per year
• Individual HMO health insurance, dental and optical paid by the organization with option to upgrade to a PPO or add dependents
• Healthcare, Dependent Care and Transportation pre-tax flexible spending accounts
• Retirement plan with 2% employer matching contribution after one (1) month of service and 5% after one (1) year of service
• 60+ colleagues passionate about making the arts available and accessible to all Americans
Visit our website at http://www.AmericansForTheArts.org/go/careers and choose the job you want to apply for. Follow the instructions to submit your application online.
Or mail your resume and cover letter to:
Americans for the Arts
1000 Vermont Avenue, NW, 6th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
We are interested in filling the position as quickly as possible as this candidate will play a key role both in projects now in their infancy that will greatly impact the level of the organization’s on-line presence and in the development of existing website frameworks that are being enhanced.
Americans for the Arts - 11 months ago
copy to clipboard