Do you get excited talking about how much you love (or hate) Ruby 2.0's new hash syntax ? Do you enjoy a friendly flamewar over best practices and clean code styles ? Do you excel in a best-idea wins culture ?
If any of this resonates with you, then we'd love to have you join our team! We're looking for Ruby Engineers of all levels who understand that deleting code is as valuable as writing code, that smaller, frequent deploys are better than huge releases, and that user experience is everyone's job (don't worry we have amazing product designers- they just happen to value feedback from everyone).
Skills & Requirements
- 1+ yrs of experience with Ruby on Rails
- Familiar with git, TDD, and agile methodologies
- Passionate about best practices and clean, maintainable code
- Enjoy problem solving, white-boarding, learning (and teaching)
We're a start up that values work-life balance and a fun work environment. As big fans of Rework and 37 Signals, not only do we think you can have a successful start up without working 10 hour days, we believe that's the best way to achieve success (any more is a surefire red flag).
A typical day includes:
- Team of 9 engineers w/ 40+ yrs experience in Rails
- Full test coverage with a CI we keep green. Never be afraid to refactor!
- Love discussing best practices, editor flamewars, and MJT
- Value everyone's opinon. You won't just build products, you'll help decide what the product is!
- Mario Kart on the office big screen (if you like blue shells, don't bother applying!)
Rafter, Inc. is a education start up, focused on leveraging technology to reduce costs for students. We started out as BookRenter.com, the first textbook rental service for college students, and from that expertise expanded into logistics, pricing, and digital platforms offered directly to college campuses. From mobile checkout (think Square for bookstores) to robust inventory systems rivaling that of Shopify, we tackle new and interesting problems everyday, and the best part is we tackle them together as a team. Lastly, Rafter is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. “Veterans of the United States Armed Forces are encouraged to apply. Thank you for your service.”
- Coding Ruby, Rails, Backbone, RSpec
- Pushing and reviewing pull requests on Github
- White-boarding problems with your team (and pairing on the solution)
- Discussing UX, customer flows, and interactions with designers
- Hanging out with our chat bot on Flowdock (who also does all our deploys)
If we sound like a fun team you'd like to work with, shoot us your resume/github profile and a few words about yourself and what you're looking for. Even if you don't necessarily meet all the requirements, we value passion, a fun-loving attitude, and a willingness to contribute and participate in a team environment more than anything else.
Looking forward to crushing you in Mario Kart!
- Rafter Engineering