Role model and demonstrate the company’s core values of respect, honesty, integrity, diversity, inclusion and safety of others. Responsibilities for the payroll clerk include answering phone calls and emails from the divisions and the stores. The clerks are also responsible for entering all payroll information and balancing before payroll is sent. They also send payments for deductions such as United Way and Union Dues. They communicate regularly with division offices and stores, so strong communication skills are needed. Processing Child support is also part of the daily duties.
Essential Job Functions:
- Input and balance payroll and deductions for assigned divisions.
- Process payroll rejects weekly for assigned divisions.
- Process tax levies, stock adjustments, online stop pays, and unclaimed checks for assigned divisions.
- Process payments for child support, bankruptcies, union dues, better government, and political action.
- Balance selected general ledger accounts for assigned divisions.
- Respond to payroll questions from division and store associates.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Some of the behaviors needed to successfully perform this position are:
- Puts the Customer First - Anticipates customer needs, champions for the customer, acts with customers in mind, exceeds customers’ expectations, gains customers’ trust and respect.
- Communicates Effectively and Candidly - Communicates clearly and directly, is approachable, relates well to others, engages people and helps them understand change, provides and seeks feedback, articulates clearly, actively listens.
- Achieves Results Through Teamwork – Is open to diverse ideas, works inclusively and collaboratively, holds self and others accountable, involves others to accomplish individual and team goals.
- Leads Through Positive Influence – Demonstrates strong character, builds partnerships, models a conscious balance between work and personal life, takes personal responsibility for own development, role models leadership qualities such as motivation, inspiration, passion and trust.
- Coaches and Develops Others - Develops and cares about associates, builds effective teams, helps people be their best, values and manages diversity, provides candid and constructive feedback.
- Leads Change and Innovation - Challenges the status quo, embraces technology, puts forward creative ideas, champions and implements process improvements, gathers the ideas of others, demonstrates good judgment about which ideas will work.
- Executes with Excellence - Is action oriented, drives for results, sets clear expectations and milestones, reviews progress, acts decisively, solves problems, can be counted on to consistently meet or exceed goals.
- Provides Clear and Strategic Direction - Plans and organizes well, sets a clear and simple course of action, stays focused on the most important priorities, has the ability to visualize and plan for the future, understands the industry and marketplace.
- Safety Awareness - Identifying and correcting conditions that affect employee safety; upholding safety standards.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- General knowledge of basic accounting, with knowledge of KAS or other general ledger systems preferred.
- Payroll experience, with knowledge of KERMIT or other payroll systems helpful but not required.
- Personal computer experience, as well as knowledge of Microsoft Office applications required.
- Good written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of management, including division and store associates.
- Self-motivated and able to perform job responsibilities with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to work well with others as part of a team.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Physical ability to access all necessary files.
Potential Career Path from this position:
- Other positions within KASH or the Kroger Company.
Job Codes to be used:
Kroger - 13 months ago