Chief Objective of Position:
Provide information technology support to the Virginia Tech community through University Computer Support in alignment with the teaching, learning, research and outreach objectives of Virginia Tech.
Management of Virginia Tech’s Internal and External Knowledge Resources:
- Responsible for administering publication guidelines and workflows for an online Knowledgebase and other resources.
- Oversees the work of a team of technical content editors that develop and maintain content and training support materials for University wide use.
- Supervises the Content Management Editors.
- Maintains and creates content for answers.vt.edu and computing.vt.edu web sites.
Customer Support Agent:
- Provides basic consulting to faculty, staff, students, and university affiliates on all centrally supported computer, telephone, and network services at Virginia Tech.
- Provides polite, professional, courteous customer service every day, every time to end users, service providers, and equipment vendors.
- Shares technical knowledge and skills.
- Reviews problem tickets for accuracy and completeness of responses.
- Assists with special student programs as needed.
- Expresses need for, or participates in developing, tools and documentation to aid the consulting effort.
Working knowledge and experience in use of publishing software and mark-up or web-based languages and associated industry standard software tools.
Familiarity with structure, implementation and management of web content publishing workflows.
Demonstrated experience with HTML and XHTML required.
Demonstrated technical writing skills required.
Ability to interface with end users over the telephone or via email to effectively communicate problem status and resolutions. Requires the ability to work professionally and courteously in a stressful high-volume call center environment. Good interpersonal and customer support skills are required.
Good troubleshooting skills and the ability to quickly solve problems in high-pressure situations required.
Self-starter with ability to manage multiple simultaneous tasks and projects required. Ability to operate independently and without supervision and with assigned teams to accomplish organizational goals and objectives is essential. Willingness and ability to document knowledge and share with others is required.
Post secondary educational degree(s) in a related field such as: Communications, English or Technical Writing or equivalent experience.
Preference given to candidates with BA/BS in English, Communications or related degree with concentration in Technical Writing.
Preference given for experience with Content Management Systems such as Drupal.
Supervision experience preferred.
Experience with technical writing in information technology field preferred.
Experience on a technical helpdesk and familiarity with problem ticket software preferred.
Experience in higher education and with culturally diverse populations preferred.
Knowledge of Virginia Tech and Commonwealth of Virginia personnel policies preferred.
Must have a criminal background check, Must have a driver's license check, Other (Describe Below)
Must have a conviction check:
During Special Student Programs (New Student Orientation and Get Connected — new student move in) may be required to work shifts differing from M-F 8-5.
Must have valid driver’s license and good driving record in order to drive state owned vehicle.
How to Apply for this Job:
Interested applicants should complete an online application at http://listings.jobs.vt.edu/postings/41121.
If restricted or temporary, enter end date:
Exempt: Not eligible for overtime
Academic Year or Calendar Year:
If part time, enter Percent Time:
Commensurate with Experience
University Computing Support
Location, if not Blacksburg:
M-F 8a-5p; may require work outside of normal business hours and weekends
Review Begin Date:
Job Close Date:
Restricted to university employees only?
Founded in 1872 as a land-grant college, Virginia Tech (www.vt.edu) is the most comprehensive university in the Commonwealth of Virginia and...