Histology Lab Technician
Starting salary range is $14.00 – $18.00 per hour; commensurate with qualifications and experience.
If other work location
The Anatomic Pathology Service within the University of Florida Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratories is recruiting for Laboratory Technician for the Histology Laboratory.
1. This position performs all duties in a functional histology laboratory related to diagnostic histology. The duties include but are not limited to the following: gross examination of and trimming samples with residents, embedding, cutting, staining, cover slipping and labeling slides submitted to the service from both the surgical pathology and necropsy services in an efficient, high quality and consistent manner.
Participates in the production of specific special stains as requested by the professional service and residents in a timely manner. Consistent with the needs and objectives of the department.
2. Performs quality control on slides produced by the laboratory, including routine and special stains and immunohistochemistry. Performs special processing procedures for eye and bone tissues. Prepares chemical solutions requiring knowledge of basic chemistry including metric volumes, liquid measurements, pH, and molar values. Maintains laboratory chemicals. Performs frozen sections for intraoperative diagnosis and for immunohistochemical assays. Participates in cutting slides for teaching, research, and slide conferences. Uses and maintains equipment including automated processors, tissue stainers, coverslippers and immunohistochemistry stainers. This includes troubleshooting problems in both staining protocols and the operation of the equipment. Ensures equipment is used and maintained according to the manufactures guidelines. Develops,performs and troubleshoots immunohistochemical stains utilizing automated stainer.
3. Records all cases which come through the laboratory including H&E, special stains and immunohistochemistry performed in the laboratory on a daily basis. Ensures that proper billing on case material is received by the business office for processing.Maintains casework records and documents laboratory protocols. Maintains records of cases completed in the laboratory.
4. Ensures that adequate supplies are available daily and orders are placed in a consistent and efficient manner.
5. The position includes sitting at a workstation for long periods of time while processing specimens.
6. This position will require being physically capable of lifting 20 lbs over your head while filing trays of slides and blocks.
7. This position works within a histology lab and will be exposed to the chemicals utilized in processing samples.
A high school diploma and two years of appropriate experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Health Assessment Required:
Special instructions to applicants:
This is a repost of requisition number 0902178. Previous applicants are under consideration and need not apply.
This is a time-limited position.
If you are a Florida resident claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD-214 with your application for consideration.
Open Until Filled:
University of Florida UFL - 19 months ago