Assists in the operating of multi-key telephone instrument, computer aided dispatch system and other systems; provides radio dispatch services to the citizens of Shelby County, Tennessee; leads Dispatchers in dispatch duties. Assists Senior Dispatcher in daily operations and fulfills duties of Senior Dispatcher in their absence.
EEOC CODE: 30
1. Four (4) years experience in a Radio Dispatch Center for a public safety agency; and
2. Graduation from an accredited High School or possess GED; or
3. Equivalent combination of related Criminal Justice education and/or experience.
4. (PROOF EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED)
1. Must pass a Dispatch Skills Assessment.
2. Must pass a Typing Skills Assessment.
3. Must have thorough knowledge of NCIC, TIES, NLETS programs.
4. Must have extensive experience in use of computer aided dispatch system(s).
5. Must have extensive experience in use of radio equipment and basic troubleshooting methods.
6. Must have acceptable level of literacy.
7. Must have acceptable cognitive and psychomotor skills.
8. Must be able to work rotating shifts, weekends and holidays.
9. Must pass pre-employment testing.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Responsible for assisting and leading personnel in the efficient and effective operation of dispatch office.
2. Receives, monitors and responds to all incoming emergency, complaint and routine calls by telephone and radio.
3. Makes decisions and gives information to appropriate manpower by established protocols.
4. Maintains proper operation and maintenance of radios and communication equipment.
5. Leads and directs personnel of a lower graded position and needed equipment to designated locations, if needed.
6. Develops and maintains records/logs of all calls and ensures established procedures are followed.
7. Relays certain calls and information to supervisor.
8. Advises supervisor of problems with communications equipment and ensures constant working order.
9. Maintains records and files under established guidelines.
10. Performs related responsibilities as required or directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of CALEA standards relating to Communications.
2. Basic competency for this position requires unique, requisite knowledge, comprehension and application of skills for effective response to operational and supervisory activities.
3. Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of agency policy and procedure using all available resources to enforce policies and procedures.
4. Effective interpersonal communication skills and leadership qualities in addition to having a thorough working knowledge of agency policies and procedures, operational activities and telecommunication skills.
5. Must have ability to promote individual and organizational performance to achieve agency mission, standards and goals through leadership and training in order to provide the highest level of public safety communications services.
6. Must be able to provide timely, accurate and objective support and discipline of subordinate personnel.
7. Ability to act appropriately and professionally as a representative for the agency as authorized.
8. Must be able to maintain operational and technological competence as defined by the agency.
9. Must clearly understand the role and responsibility of job description toward accomplishing agency's mission.
10. Must have ability to act as an information resource to employees and assist in decision making as needed.
1075 Mullins Station Road, Room C-147, Memphis, Tennessee 38134
Shelby County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national origin or handicap status
Shelby County Government participates in E-Verify
Equal Opportunity Employer
Memphis and Shelby County Health Department - 17 months ago
Shelby County Health Care Corporation, dba Regional Medical Center at Memphis (The MED), provides a variety of health care services to the...