Bachelor of Science
Works under the supervision of the Chemistry Supervisor. Applies broad practical and theoretical knowledge of Clinical Chemistry, Immunology and Special Chemistry in the activities of the Chemistry Laboratory. Is a resource person for the technologists in the department Performs other duties as assigned.
See below. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Analyze blood, body fluids and urine specimens according to the established
procedures of the Chemistry Department.
2. Evaluates test results for abnormalities and/or significant variations and confirms
and/or corrects before releasing.
3. Notifies appropriate patient care areas of critical and STAT results
4. Assist technologists with instrument malfunction when necessary.
5. Participates in the evaluation of new products and procedures.
6. Assists with staff training.
7. Complies with all regulatory standards.
8. Consults with pathologists, staff physicians and other hospital personnel as necessary.
9. Assists supervisory staff with the Glucose Point of Care program.
The following duties may be required to be performed routinely, in the absence of supervisory staff, or at the request of supervisory staff or Laboratory Administrative Director.
2. Assist with proper processing of NYS and CAP Proficiency programs..
3. Write/revise department procedures and protocols
4. Demonstrate intuitive planning and follow-up of projects.
5. Inform Supervisory staff and appropriate personnel of situations or problems requiring attention. Demonstrate ability to recognize and analyze problems effectively.
6. Maintain inventory for all chemistry supplies, submits purchase requests as applicable.
7. Assist with Quality Control programs and evaluation.
8. Contribute toward maintaining a pleasant working atmosphere within the department
Education, Training, Licensure and Experience Requirements
B.S. degree in Medical Technology or related science with six years of relevant hospital experience.
ASCP or NCA certification preferred.
White Plains Hospital is a voluntary, not-for-profit health care organization with the primary mission of offering high quality, acute...