The Light Microscopy Technician / Specialist aids the Biophotonics Director in the operation of the Biophotonics Core Facility. This is a multi-faceted job that involves the following components:
- User Training - educating facility users in the use of facility instrumentation and methods used therein.
- Research Design and Participation - aiding the Director and independently assisting users in the design of experiments involving light microscopy methods including confocal and live cell microscopy, total-internal-reflection (TIRF) microscopy, multi-photon microscopy, and super-resolution microscopy (PALM and SIM). Incumbent will also assist with image processing and data analysis methods.
- Core Facility Maintenance - maintaining the functionality of facility instrumentation.
- Data Collection and Presentation - collecting and managing data collected on facility instrumentation, helping to prepare data for publication and presentation.
A BS degree in biological or biophysical sciences or biomedical engineering is required.
A PhD degree in biological or biophysical sciences or biomedical engineering is preferred.
- Biological or biophysical sciences or biomedical engineering background with experience in light microscopy.
- Tissue cell culture experience and sterile culture techniques.
- Fluorescence based immunohistochemistry labeling.
- Microscopy experience in a core environment.
- Tissue preparation and histology experience.
Candidate must be able to work a flexible schedule based on research needs and deadlines. Must be willing to submit to a personal background check.
Position requires constant seeing, adjusting focus, touching/feeling, keying, grasping, talking, hearing, handling, reading, writing, reasoning, communicating, and working inside.