California Institute of Technology
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
System administrator position for LIGO Hanford Observatory, in Washington State. The job entails administering computing systems used in control and data acquisition for a large gravitational-wave detector, working closely with engineers and scientists from a variety of scientific fields.
- Provide proactive advice and act in a consultative role with assessment of user needs and provide solutions that are most effective and feasible.
- Maintain distributed computing systems and network infrastructure, including maintaining configuration documentation, performing security updates and maintaining back-up systems.
- Editing software programs in C and other scripting languages.
- Working with schematic capture software to update drawings.
- Assist observatory personnel in tracing, pulling and terminating cables.
- Assisting engineers and technical staff as assigned.
- Other duties assigned.
- Bachelors Degree in a suitable technical filed with at least 1 year of relevant work experience.
- Previous linux/unix system administration experience
- Good communication and customer support skills
- Installation and troubleshooting duties for equipment spread over 5 miles of facilities will require (approx. 1/3 of time):
o Climbing ladders or working behind equipment racks or in under-floor spaces
o Walking or standing for significant periods of time
o Ability to lift 40 pounds
- Requires background check and DMV check
o networking and network switches
o disk raids and tape backup systems
o large networked systems, utilizing multiple virtual LANs and routing
o user account management
o computer hardware and software trouble shooting
o scripting languages (e.g. bash, perl python)
o programming languages (e.g. C, C++)
o Windows PC administration
o Solaris operating system
o relational databases (e.g. mySql)
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: jobs.caltech.edu
- Technical writing skills, including documentation and drawings
Caltech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency