This position exists to assist and support a CMC location. Under limited to no supervision, monitors assigned location(s) safety performance including injuries, injury prevention, hazard identification, hazard control and correction, compliance with CMC Americas Safety policies and procedures and OSHA regulations. Works with and assists location management to ensure proper safety orientation, annual training requirements and all required documentation are maintained in accordance to CMC Americas Safety policies and procedures and OSHA regulations.
- Assists and supports CMC Americas Safety with regards to development, implementation, follow up, analysis, etc. of all CMC Americas Safety policies, procedures, requirements and initiatives as directed.
- Be able to assess and prioritize the needs of the facility, those needs will indicate the level of personal involvement needed to complete all required safety functions.
- Conducts monthly safety inspection at each facility in conjunction with facility management.
- Assists facility in development of corrective actions for identified hazards, to include but not limited to implementation, tracking and follow up.
- Coordinate, facilitate, support and or advise facility with all required employee training including but not limited to, New Employee Orientation, annual required re-training, forklift, material handler, overhead crane, site specific equipment safeguards in accordance to CMC Americas Safety policy and OSHA regulation guidelines.
- Monitor training matrix for facility to ensure proper documentation and identify any upcoming needs as well as deficiencies that may need to be addressed. If needs or deficiencies are found, assist facility Management in the development of corrective action plans.
- Assist, support and or advise facility Management with respect to CMC Americas Safety and OSHA compliance.
- Assist, support and or advise facility Management with respect to proper reporting of accidents to include but not limited to “near miss”, property damage, first aid, OSHA recordable and OSHA lost time.
- Weekly, monthly and annual reporting – safety stats and report to the manager, CMC Americas Safety to include at a minimum: IR Rates, accident analysis, safety accomplishments, and outstanding safety issues.
- Provide expertise and resource to Plant Managers, Operation Managers and employees.
- Assist, Conduct and follow up of safety council meetings.
- Assist and monitor mobile equipment inspections and training (man lifts, cranes, forklifts, railcar and yard trucks), contractor safety and liability insurance.
- Assist, support and or advise facility with respect to obtaining detailed descriptions of incidents, thorough corrective action steps to prevent future injuries, advise on disciplinary actions when necessary and follow up to ensure appropriate corrective actions have been implemented and are in place and are working.
- Assist and support facility Management with respect to developing initiatives that will help motivate each employee individually as well as cultivate the entire safety culture of the facility towards a safer work environment.
- Monitor and assist facility Safety Coordinators with analysis with respect to safety initiatives and how it affects the overall safety performance of the facility, providing and allowing feedback from facility Management.
BS required in manufacturing or industrial / environmental safety
- Organized / detail and action oriented
- Strong skills in the application of accident prevention techniques, safety committee instructor, workers compensation, which effectively address hazards associated with physical, behavioral and administrative contributors to preventing workplace injuries and illnesses
- Communication skills both written and verbally – especially when developing programs, PowerPoint, safety training and the ability for the safety message to be conveyed to the employees
- Ability to build relationships Interpersonal/human relations skills
- Knows their limitations
- Ability to multitask
- Manage a staff of 4 Safety coordinators
- Work in a FAST pace 300+ employee manufacturing facility that operates rotating shifts 24/7
- Experience in the steel industry preferred
Be able to have a positive attitude, be proactive, and be a team player, high degree of integrity and sense of urgency, with the ability to lead by example.
Commercial Metals Company - 22 months ago
Commercial Metals Company (CMC) is a Fortune 500 enterprise whose vertical integration model revolutionized the way the steel industry...