L.P.N. - CG|
SUN LIFE FAMILY HEALTH CENTER JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB TITLE: LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (L.P.N.) CASA GRANDE
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF NURSING
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
The Role of the L.P.N. is to promote and restore patients health by maintaining the day-to-day operation of the patient care area; assisting support staff; working with the clinic provider to assure physical and psychological support to the patients at the level for which the L.P.N. has been trained and certified. Willcoordinate care for patients on the providers daily schedule and proactively manage and coordinate care for patients not on the schedule.
1. Interact with patients and employees in a respectful manner consistent with the mission and values of Sun Life.
2. Identify patient service requirements by establishing rapport with the patient and others while being aware of age specific needs protocols. Exhibit knowledge of growth, development, and age appropriate communication skills. Ability to assess, provide and interpret age specific data. Ability to involve family or significant other in decision-making related to plan of care.
3. Promote teamwork within the microsystem to improve patient access and the efficiency of the team and the site as a whole.
4. Review current or new plan of care to include goals with patient. Perform patient education activities as directed by provider.
5. Review preventative care needs of the patient and alert the provider to provide orders for such. Examples are male or female preventative exams, immunizations and other recommended age related screenings.
6. Complete patient care requirements by performing provider orders, procedures and tests. Completing other tasks as assigned, i.e. set up rooms, place patient inroom, takes patients vital signs, height, weight, pulse ox, oxygen levels, EKG etc. and records them in the patient medical record.
7. Prepare patient for, and assist the provider during patient examination and any requests by provider for assistance.
8. Give instructions to patients as directed by provider and accurately and promptly implement providers' orders.
9. Assess patients as required and record appropriate findings in the patient medical record and discuss findings with available provider to determine disposition of patient.This will be done in a timely and professional manner.
10. Monitor medical condition of patients and report changes to appropriate personnel.
11. Monitor intravenous solutions skillfully and correctly.
12. Administer Medications to include injections and immunizations and complete all required documentation.
13. Maintain documentation of patient care services by completing patient and department records in accordance with established policies and procedures.
14. Document verbally and in writing procedures, medication, delivery of care, and pertinent information regarding care rendered to the patient. Routine and timely documentation of all core process work activities including, but not limited to, evidence-based chart reviews, patient calls & correspondence.
15. Educate patient on medications and directions for use; or changes made at time of patient appointment.
16. Call in prescription refills as directed by the provider. Support Patients and providers in the medication refill process
17. Answer telephone calls and take messages for the provider and/or return telephone calls to patients.
18. Contact patients to report test results, change in medications. Notify patients of their upcoming appointments (pre-visit phone calls), prescriptions to the pharmacy, and follow up on self management goals in a timely manner. Handle non-appointment related calls from patients. Resolve non-appointment related calls from patients by resolving the issue, or routing the call to the appropriate party.
19. Receive reports on patients and deliver them to the appropriate provider. Provide an effective communication link between patient and medical staff, including relaying messages from providers, gathering information from patients for providers
20. Process referrals if required (those not processed by referral department) and set up appointments for patient for diagnostic procedures and/or with a specialist.
21. Act as a liaison with the providers, other doctors offices and the hospital.
22. Protect patients and employees by complying with infection control policies and protocols, following medication administration, storage procedures and controlled substance regulations. Maintain Universal precautions and follow all applicable SLFHC procedures regarding infection control and reducing healthcare acquired infections (HAIs). This includes but is not limited to, good hand-washing and gloving practices.
23. Participate in patient education, i.e. family planning, diabetes, well child, etc. Individual or group based education, counseling, or self-management goal setting sessions.
24. Work collaboratively with the Quality Improvement Manager to develop data collection and reporting methods that are patient and provider panel specific regarding identified preventive and chronic disease priorities.
25. Ensure operation of medical equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturers instructions; reporting malfunctions, requesting repairs, maintaining equipment inventories, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
26. Maintain nursing supplies inventory by anticipating needed supplies. Keep rooms stocked with adequate medical supplies, wash and dry instruments used, and prepare for sterilization as required. Clean and prepare rooms between procedures, and restock supplies. Perform sterilization of instruments and surgical packs in a timely manner.
27. Perform CLIA waived laboratory tests for which they have received training.
28. Report communicable disease to County Health Department as required.
29. Arrange for patient to receive home health visits, if necessary.
30. Assist/Participate in orientation and in-service training for personnel.
31. Maintain Clinic standards of care by adhering to the Arizona State Nurse Practice Act and those of other governing agencies. Assure quality of care by maintaining clinic standards of care while adhering to requirements of other governing agencies.
32. Adhere to expectations of required/mandatory in-services, certifications, and licensure.
33. Act as a backup to other patient care team members as needed.
34. Ability to handle protected health information (PHI) in a manner consistent with the health insurance portability and accountability act of 1996 (HIPAA)
35. Works collaboratively with the Director of Nursing to ensure that processes and procedures developed are institutionalized in the delivery of patient care.
36. Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications and establishing personal networks.
37. Participate in in-service/education regarding Quality Improvement.
38. Perform all other related duties as assigned or requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Proficiency in verbal communication
• Demonstrate ability to work effectively in team environment
• Demonstrate problem solving skills in a complex environment
• Demonstrate effective interpersonal relationship and customer service skills
• Good organizational and time management skills
• Good working knowledge of local social service resources or skills to acquire and use knowledge and information expeditiously.
• Desire to carry out the mission of the center
• Ability to work effectively with people from diverse cultures and diverse socioeconomic situations
• Ability to use computer programs and applications
• Ability to learn and adapt
• Ability to direct others
• Behavioral Competencies
Accountability- Role Model, mission, vision and shared values
Customer Focus- Listen to the voice of the customer and strive to exceeding their expectations
Teamwork - If someone needs help, help them
Initiative - Be innovative, apply fresh ideas and continuously improve how you do your work.
Confidentiality - Maintains strict confidentiality and respect the privacy of others
Ethical - Demonstrate consideration and appreciation for co-workers and customer
Respect - Demonstrate - consideration and appreciation for co-workers and customer
Communication - Demonstrate the ability to convey thoughts and ideas as well as understand perspective of others
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Licensed Practical Nurse (L.P.N.) with valid state license
CareerBuilder - 18 months ago
Sun Life Family Health Center is a not-for-profit organization providing health care to Casa Grande, Eloy, Coolidge, Maricopa, Oracle and...