Works under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN) in participating in the implementation and evaluation of the detainees/inmates health care needs. Provides comprehensive nursing care while observing and maintaining the requirements of security.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Under an RN’s direction, develops nursing care plans on detainees/inmates.
• Performs a complete physical assessment and medical history as required on each detainee/inmate entering the correctional system. Medical problems are referred to the physician for extended evaluation.
• Assists physician with sick call by screening patients and performing minor surgical procedures. Treats detainees/inmates with problems within professional capabilities and refers other medical problems to the appropriate physician.
• Ensures the implementation of physician's orders. Ensures that prescribed medications are administered as ordered using the formulary. Applies knowledge of drugs and therapeutics in dispensing medication.
• Makes observation rounds on patients, and records in progress notes. Evaluates symptoms, reactions, and progress of patients on periodic basis, charts, and reports problems to management.
• Maintains security while dispensing medications and is continually cognizant of the potential hazard of drug hoarding and trafficking among detainees/inmates. Maintains non-involvement in the security aspects of care.
• Destroys and properly disposes of all needles/syringes.
• Prepares regularly scheduled reports and special reports as necessary.
• Documents all detainee/inmate contacts. Maintains confidentiality of medical records.
• Maintains compliance with industry and company policies for accreditation.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Graduate of an accredited school of nursing required. Must have a current, unrestricted license to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in the state the facility is located. Maintains a current copy of license on file at the facility at all times.
• Two (2) years of direct work experience preferred.
• Must possess competence in the performance of the following services: crisis intervention, medical emergencies, physical assessment, medical nursing care, and psychiatric nursing care.
• Must have the ability to work without direct, immediate supervision in performing nursing diagnosis, and be able provide appropriate follow through treatment.
The GEO Group, Inc. - 21 months ago
The GEO Group is the world's leading provider of correctional and detention management and community re-entry services to federal, state and...