Descriptive Title: Laboratory Aide (1 PT Night position) |
Budget Title: same as above
State Classified Position
Department: Specimen Receiving
State Line#: 14376
Campus: Stony Brook University Hospital
Required Qualifications: No minimum education or experience requirements.
Preferred Qualifications: High School Diploma. Medical Terminology, Prior Hospital/Lab experience preferred.
Brief Description of Duties:
- Accessions patient specimens utilizing the computer system and/or manual procedures.
- Records data into appropriate accession log books.
- Reviews all patient specimens received for proper labeling to ensure proper patient identification and appropriate sample type and size for test procedure.
- Processes and prepares patient specimens for analysis to include centrifugation, measurement of 24 hour urines, etc.
- Answers the telephone to provide information on availability of patient services, specimen collection requirements.
- Maintains records of laboratory reports as assigned and perform other clerical related duties.
- Learn the computer to obtain pertinent data and to report test results and generate orders, etc.
- Will be required to provide backup support in laboratory stat service and serve as a runner in transporting specimens.
- Adheres to all policies and protocols to ensure quality patient care and maintenance of safety rules and regulations.
- Will perform inventory control, stock shelves, and other related duties as assigned.
Other Duties: Other duties consistent with the title.
Special Notes: 1 Part-Time Night Position -0.50 FTE - 11:00 pm - 7:30 am on Alternating Thursdays, and 11:00 pm - 7:30 am on Friday and Saturday. Please note that Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
Please note: Prior to start date , the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook University's Employee Health Services, clear a background investigation; submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of the required license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Stony Brook University
- 2 years ago - save job