The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty six cities and water districts that provides drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. Metropolitan’s mission is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way. Metropolitan’s facilities include the 242-mile Colorado River Aqueduct, five conventional water treatment plants with a combined capacity of 2.6 billion gallons per day, nine surface water reservoirs, 800 miles of pipeline, and 16 hydroelectric power plants.
LABORATORY ASSISTANT I
The MWD’s Water System Operations Group, Water Quality Section currently has one (1) opening for a Laboratory Assistant I within the Microbiology Unit located at our Water Quality Laboratory in La Verne, CA.
This position provides support for mandatory compliance monitoring programs that includes all units and teams in the Water Quality Section.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Washing laboratory glassware
• Delivering clean glassware to laboratory areas and to storage
• Filling and emptying glassware oven
• Making buffer water solutions and media for microbiology
• Cleaning and preserving sample bottles
• Assisting with receiving and delivering supply packages
• Packing bottles in ice chests
• Sorting sample labels
• Logging in samples into the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) computer system
• Assisting with other related laboratory prep duties
• Assisting with special projects
• Responsible for cleaning and maintaining glassware, plastic ware, other types of containers and equipment used in the laboratory.
• Prepares media used for microbiological tests.
• May assist laboratory technologist in performing routine laboratory procedures.
• Responsible for maintaining records of samples collected and distributed.
• Performs other related duties as required.
• Graduation from high school or attainment of a satisfactory score on a G.E.D.
• Possession of a valid driver's license equivalent to a California Class C.
Physical Requirements: Moderate
This class requires that the incumbent stand or walk most of the time with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, reaching, working on irregular surfaces, occasional lifting of objects weighing over 25 pounds and frequent lifting of 10 to 25 pounds being required.
• The Applicant Profile, resume, and response to the questionnaire will be used to screen an applicant’s ability to meet the minimum requirements.
• Based on a comparative analysis, only those candidates demonstrating the strongest backgrounds will be invited to testing.
• Those applicants invited for testing will participate in a competitive examination process. The exam will consist of an oral panel interview.
Job Related Selection Criteria:
25% Job Preparation (education, experience, and training relevant to this position)
40% Technical knowledge of, and skill/ability to:
o Laboratory environment, glassware preparation, and routine lab procedures
o Laboratory safety procedures
o Basic computer applications such as spreadsheets, email, and word processing
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. To receive a copy of the complete job description, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the position requires a college/university degree, said degree must have been issued by an educational institution recognized as accredited by the United States Department of Education. Degrees issued by educational institutions outside the United States must include documentation validating the equivalency of that degree to the same degree in the United States to be considered acceptable for Metropolitan purposes.
Reasonable accommodation for people with disabilities may be requested by calling (213) 217-7738 at least 5 working days in advance of the scheduled examination date(s).
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California - 19 months ago