Independently or with minimal supervision obtains blood specimens for laboratory testing and processes specimens according to policy/procedure. Assists in triaging patients and maintaining work environment.
- Prioritizes requests based upon routine or stat draws.
- Performs punctures using proper technique as outlined in policy/procedures.
- Collects appropriate volumes and tube types as specified per test.
- Maintains confidentiality and patient privacy during specimen collection.
- Triage patients (including VS, Ht, Wt, head circumference and other patient care assignments) in a safe, efficient and timely manner.
- Documents patient care and other assignments according to department guidelines.
- Practice universal precautions/ isolation techniques according to hospital policy.
- Collection and processing of specimens and needed during clinic.
- Labels specimens correctly according to policy.
- Delivers specimens with appropriate requisition to the designated location either by utilizing tube system or hand carry.
- Assists with maintaining a clean orderly patient/department environment.
- Obtaining patient charts from front and putting patients in rooms
- Assisting with patient procedures as directed by Patient Care Manager.
- Stock clinic rooms and lab area on a daily basis.
- Maintains clinic/lab stock weekly and notifies Team Leader of needed supplies.
- Cleans refrigerator/freezer as appropriate
- Runs errands as directed.
Performs clerical duties as required
- Completes daily POCT/QC testing as required by policy.
- Maintains testing/QC log and completes monthly log.
- Performs all required documentation of specimen variances.
- Collects/documents appropriate QA/QI data as requested.
- Performs other clerical duties (copying,stamping,filing,mailing,recording instrument readings,etc)
- Collects and transmits surveillance data.
- Explains procedures to parent and patient and or hospital personnel.
- Answers questions within area of practice.
- Interacts appropriately according to age competency recommendations.
- Answers telephone and appropriately directs calls and/or provides information as appropriate.
- Completes 4 contact hours per year of appropriate continuing education related to current practice area and role responsibilities.
- Practices cost effective use of supplies
- Utilizes available communication tools (Outlook, staff meetings, bulletin boards, telephone, vocera) to remain informed
- Trains new staff as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university
1 year total experience required
which includes Completion of training program in an accredited Medical Laboratory Assistant school or equivalent or 1 year prior laboratory experience in an accredited hospital or equivalent training or experience. experience
1 year prior pediatric or PCT experience
Data Entry. Proficient with Microsoft Word.
Must demonstrate the ability to work well with others.
Must demonstrate exceptional communication and team player skills.
Physical Activity - Stand
Physical Activity - Walk
Physical Activity - Sit
Physical Activity - Use hands to finger, handle, or feel
Physical Activity - Reach with hands and arms
Physical Activity - Climb or balance
Physical Activity - Stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, twist, or bend
Physical Activity - Talk or hear
Physical Environment - Inside Office Environment / conditions
Physical Environment - Work near moving mechanical parts
Physical Environment - Infectious disease
Physical Environment - Blood or bodily fluid
Lifting/Pushing/Pulling Weight - Up to 50 pounds
• (Manage safely with assistance of equipment or another person)
Noise Level - In general, the noise level for this position is considered to be:
Arkansas Children's Hospital - 22 months ago
As the only pediatric medical center in the state, Arkansas Children's Hospital (ACH) serves the youngest Razorbacks from birth to age...