Responsible for performing venipunctures and capillary blood collections as established in the laboratory policy and procedure manual. Processes all specimen types for in-house analysis, properly packages and stores specimens for reference laboratory testing. Performs a limited number of laboratory tests under the direct supervision of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (MT / MLT) or Laboratory Supervisor.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Job duties for all positions:
- Proper identification of the patient using two identifiers: patient name and date of birth.
- Perform a variety of routine blood drawing procedures to include venipuncture and capillary puncture (finger) using standardized equipment.
- Respond to all STAT blood work requests within 30 minutes. Respond to all timed specimen requests within + / - 15 minutes.
- Confer with patients to obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, allay fears and elicit cooperation.
- Transport specimens to the laboratory while maintaining specimen integrity.
- Adhere to standard precautions and all infection control policies and procedures.
- Prepare, process, label and store patient specimens according to departmental procedures using approved techniques and equipment, for subsequent analysis by the clinical laboratory.
- Respond to the pneumatic tube system and disperse patient specimens to the appropriate lab section in an efficient manner.
- Centrifuge, aliquot, and appropriately store all reference laboratory specimens per laboratory policies and procedures. Build transport batches to prepare specimens for courier pickup.
- Provide routine specimen pick-up for all physicians in adjoining medical / professional buildings.
- Maintain phlebotomy trays in a neat, organized, and professional manner.
- Answer the laboratory telephones within 3 rings.
- Maintain entire work area in a neat, clean, and organized manner
- Limited laboratory testing (i.e. automated Hematology, automated Chemistry, routine UA reagent strips, etc.) in each laboratory section is performed in a timely manner according to departmental policies and procedures.
- Planting of cultures in Microbiology is done in a timely manner, using sterile techniques, correct media selection, and accurate labeling.
- Laboratory equipment is maintained to ensure that consistent and accurate testing is accomplished.
- Adequacy of specimens is evaluated according to departmental guidelines. Unacceptable specimens are brought to the attention of a CLS.
- Quality control is performed and the data is used to evaluate acceptability of patient results. Outliers are brought to the attention of a CLS.
- Uses troubleshooting skills to identify basic QC, instrument and / or methodology problems.
- All issues are brought to the attention of a CLS.
- Employee seeks out departments that need assistance when the volume of testing in their assigned area is minimal or tasks are completed.
- Complies with laboratory policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
- Employee must wear all required personnel protective equipment.
- Takes responsibility for ensuring that all work outcomes satisfy the HealthAlliance Three Pillars: Finance, Quality, and Service Excellence.
- The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of HealthAlliance Hospitals and serve as a role model for the CARES- It Happens Here customer service initiative.
- Demonstrates excellent attendance and actively participates in a variety of meetings and training sessions as required.
- Demonstrates a friendly, responsive, service-minded attitude to all internal and external customers.
- Communicates ideas effectively. Shares information and keeps others properly informed. Gives, and is open to useful feedback.
- Adheres to the HealthAlliance Hospital Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards and dress code.
- Complies with established environment of care/safety policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
- Maintains, and fosters, an organized, clean, safe work environment.
- Actively contributes to the development and application of process improvements.
- Maintains a collaborative, team relationship with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the group’s achievement of goals and to help foster a positive work environment.
- Demonstrates respect for the diversity of patient and employee populations. Supports and encourages diverse points of view, work and lifestyles.
- Practices cost containment and fiscal responsibility through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, time, etc.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Able to read, understand and perform routine laboratory procedures. Individual must be detail oriented and possess good organizational skills. Must possess good communication and customer service skills. Medical terminology is helpful. Requires the ability to use computers to read, record and retrieve basic information. Must be able to read, write and speak clearly in English.
High School diploma or equivalent and completion of college chemistry and biology courses. Preference is given to students enrolled in a 2 or 4- year Clinical Laboratory Science program.
No prior experience required.
An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
Apply for this job:
- Apply for this job online
- Refer a friend to this job
HealthAlliance Hospital - 5 months ago