** This is a CONTRACTUAL position**
A Laboratory Assistant position is available immediately in the Department of Pharmacology at the University of Maryland, School of Medicine. The major research project focuses on identifying molecular and cellular mechanisms of breast carcinogenesis. Under direct supervision, the selected candidate prepares, collects, logs, and labels laboratory specimens; sets up tests, and assists in laboratory activities and maintenance related to experiments involving the combination of transgenic mouse and cell culture models.
1. Assists in preparing mixtures such as simple solutions, media, reagents, stains, and buffers by pouring, measuring and mixing liquid, powder, and crystalline chemicals following established formulas and procedures.
2. Logs specimens; labels tubes, bottles, and other containers and fills with specified solutions or materials as instructed.
3. Raises, tends, or harvests non-mammalian specimens as instructed.
4. Sets up specimens, materials, and equipment for various experimental procedures including electrophoresis, blotting, chromatography, DNA and RNA analysis, and mouse surgical procedures.
5. Operates and performs general housekeeping on laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, meters, microscopes, incubators, autoclaves, chromatographs, and chemical analysis instrumentation.
6. Cleans and sterilizes glassware; stocks shelves and drawers; separates and prepares laboratory materials for recycling.
7. Maintains chemicals and equipment inventory.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Six months laboratory work experience.
Working knowledge of laboratory operations, safety, and basic laboratory equipment. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; to measure and mix laboratory chemicals; to operate laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, meters, microscopes, incubators, autoclaves, chromatographs, and chemical analysis instrumentation; to lift, transport and deliver materials and stock laboratory supplies and goods; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform job.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are not eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).
Salary Range: $23,058 - $29,733 - $36,408
Filing Deadline: 12/5/2012
Posting Date: 11/21/2012
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258