We have an excellent career opportunity available for a Laboratory Manager at the Oxnard Seed Physiology Laboratory in Oxnard, CA. This position leads the Oxnard laboratory in a safe, cost effective, and reliable manner—ensuring compliance with regulatory standards and supporting regional and global testing efforts. We are seeking an applicant with superior leadership skills to support the staff of 25 experienced/full time employees and 10 contract employees.
The Oxnard, CA site also serves as Monsanto’s North American vegetable headquarters. Interaction with manufacturing and commercial leadership offers excellent opportunities for continued professional development.
Responsibilities in this role include:
- Ensuring lab operations meet all external regulatory compliance (ISTA and AOSA) and internal operational requirements (ISO9000, BIO-ETS, ESH).
- Lead and guide staff in all safety and ISO initiatives working through dedicated site personnel.
- Management of a $4 million dollar budget focused on diligent cost management principles.
- Initiate and implement continuous improvement projects for the team focused on enhancements in safety, quality, costs and workplace environment.
- Support site Registered Seed Technologists (RST's) in outreach efforts to AOSA and ISTA to influence rule changes that can positively impact the seed industry, internal testing, and labeling requirements.
- Accurate preparation and communication of operational KPI's to lab team and to leadership outlining operational progress, backlog or staffing concerns with proposed solutions to concerns.
- Management of supplies using appropriate stocking strategies and procurement processes that align with business requirements.
- Participation and leadership within the global physiology team; providing networking opportunities with support to other global operations.
- Inspire a site culture that embraces diversity and operates in a manner consistent with Monsanto's Pledge commitments.
- Provide employee development opportunities that provide skill enrichment, robust succession, and strong employee engagement.
- Recognize employee success through existing recognition programs and identify ways to expand inspirational leadership at the site.
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of work experience in a laboratory or a biological, agricultural or related field is required.
- The ability to present information clearly through oral or written communications.
- Ability to work independently and in a group with minimal direction (thinking broadly to solve issues through internal and external resources).
- Dedication to meet customer commitments and business requirements.
- Experience in seed physiology and basic knowledge of statistics and statistical reporting.
- Knowledge of seed testing methods, ISTA and / or AOSA rules, and seed testing equipment.
- Strong IT/database/Excel/SAP skills are preferred.
Monsanto - 22 months ago
Monsanto is one of the world’s leading agricultural technology companies. We’re a company committed to innovation, focused on...