Under supervision, perform histology, histochemistry, and immunohistochemistry on human and rodent samples from multiple projects, using standard protocols. Responsibilities include: Performing Hematoxylin and Eosin stains on frozen sections and review under microscope for quality control, conducting Periodic acid Schiff stains on paraffin sections, performing trichrome stains on paraffin sections, and performing Brown and Brenn’s stain on paraffin or frozen sections, and Oil Red O stains on frozen sections, using adipose tissue as positive control. Other duties include performing lab maintenance, ordering and maintaining supplies and equipment, and preparing buffers and solutions as needed. Maintain laboratory environmental health and safety activities, including radioactive waste, chemical waste and biological waste disposal.
Must be able to work with human and rodent samples.
Must be to work with biohazardous material and potential carcinogens.
UC San Diego is an Equal Opportunity / Staff Affirmative Action Employer that values a diverse workforce and provides reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities.
- Theoretical knowledge in Biology, Chemistry, Histology and Immunohistochemistry. Knowledge in histology, histochemistry and immunohistochemistry techniques. Knowledge in performing Immunohistochmistry assays after protocol review.
- Experience in cutting frozen and paraffin sections for histology. Knowledge in performing Brown and Brenn's stain on paraffin or frozen sections, and Oil Red O stains on frozen sections, using adipose tissue as positive control.
- Knowledge with the use of a balance, processor, embedder, microtome, cryostat and microscopes.
Demonstrated experience in the use of light and epiflurescence mircroscopes.
- Knowledge in basic math for maintaining ledgers, income and expenditures reports. Demonstrated ability to calculate and prepare chemical solutions accurately.
- Proven experience conducting hematoxylin and eosin stains on paraffin sections, periodic acid Schiff stains on paraffin sections, and trichrome stains in paraffin sections.
- Knowledge in the operation of a personal computer, including Access, MS Word and Excel. Skill and ability to keep accurate data.
- Ability to learn and carry out new experimental procedures with accuracy and efficiency. Must be able to follow step wise experimental protocols. Ability to follow established Safety and Biohazardous Material Guidelines.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) needed to interact professionally and effectively in the work environment, as well as to effectively and accurately doucment research procedures. Ability to read, comprehend and discuss research materials. Enthusiasm for learning and a genuine interest in scientific research. Willingness and ability to learn new skills, research methods, and scientific principles.
UC San Diego Health System - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard
UC San Diego Health System is San Diego’s only academic health system and is composed of UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest, and...