Laboratory Scientist - TRI - Orlando |
Florida Hospital seeks to hire a Laboratory Scientist who will embrace our mission to extend the healing ministry of Christ.
Established in 1908, Florida Hospital is one of the largest not-for-profit healthcare systems in the country, caring for more than a million patients each year. The 2,286-bed acute-care medical facility, comprised of eight hospitals, has been recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best hospitals in the country for the past 10 years. It serves as a community hospital for Greater Orlando and as a major tertiary referral hospital for Central Florida and much of the Southeast, the Caribbean and Latin America.
The Translational Research Institute for Metabolism and Diabetes (TRI) is the product of an innovative affiliation between Florida Hospital and Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute that bridges the gap between discovery research and clinical care. The TRI brings together the complementary strengths of Sanford-Burnham's basic science prowess and advanced research technologies and Florida Hospital's compassionate, comprehensive clinical care and clinical/translational research expertise to accelerate the discovery and development of new approaches to diagnose, treat, and prevent obesity, diabetes, and their cardiovascular complications.
Monday - Friday, 40 hours per week
As a Laboratory Scientist with Translational Research Institute, you will make providing service your priority while caring for the whole person in a faith-based atmosphere.
The TRI Laboratory Scientist performs a variety of duties involved in the collection, storage, packing, shipping, analysis and documentation of clinical research specimens and data, with particular emphasis on tissue acquisition, processing, cryopreservation, and cell culture techniques. Work customarily involves practical knowledge in clinical research specimen collection, processing, and analyzing, as well as implementation and tracking of laboratory quality assurance measures. The Laboratory Scientist is expected to learn new techniques, as needed, and to assist in the development and implementation of procedures in the areas of tissue processing, cell culture, tissue cryopreservation, specimen inventory management, specimen analysis, and quality assurance. The TRI Laboratory Scientist actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Skills, Education & Experience Required:
- Bachelor's Degree in Biological Science, Medical Laboratory Science, Biotechnology, or related field;
- AND 2-years of experience in a clinical research and/or hospital laboratory setting appropriate to department work assigned.
- Demonstrated technical skills and aptitudes related to the laboratory procedures or processes performed in department or work area assigned.
- Able to effectively communicate verbally and in written form in English with patients, staff, and customers of varied backgrounds in a respectful, effective, and professional manner.
- Ability to read text and numbers in English, with demonstrated ability to comprehend, measure, reason, match, problem solve, and exercise judgment under supervision. Ability to respond appropriately to buzzers, bells, flashing lights, and pagers.
- Ability to learn and apply computer related applications and programs, including using electronic keyboards and other peripheral devices, as well as demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel).
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Shows mature judgment and the ability to handle confidential information within Florida Hospital guidelines and applicable regulations.
- Ability to handle infectious biological specimens, caustics, toxic chemicals and/or irritants appropriately and safely.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to multitask effectively and display flexibility in task completion and organization of daily workflow.
- Display a willingness and ability to learn and develop new techniques and procedures as needed for research protocol development.
- Possesses a strong desire to work in a unique clinical research laboratory setting.
- Additional experience in the field(s) of cell-based research (ie. molecular, drug discovery), histology/cytopathology, or tissue/stem cell procurement and processing. (Preferred)
- Proficiency in a wide variety of laboratory techniques in specimen preparation, ranging from making basic solutions and reagents, to performing more complex processes such as DNA/RNA extractions, stem cell isolations, and preparations for histological evaluations. (Preferred)
- Sound knowledge of tissue acquisition, processing, cryopreservation, and inventory management.
- Preparation, replication, and management of cell lines. (Preferred)
- Sound knowledge in a wide variety of laboratory and molecular assays and techniques such as ELISA, Western Blot, qRT-PCR, flow cytometry, and spectrophotometry. (Preferred)
- Proficiency in the use and maintenance of a variety of automated and manual laboratory instrumentation, particularly those used in the areas of chemistry, special chemistry, and hematology. (Preferred)
License, Certification or Registration Required:
- Certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist or Medical Technologist from a nationally recognized certifying agency (ie. ASCP, AMT, NCA);
- Current State of Florida License as a Medical Technologist in all areas.
Demonstrates through behavior Florida Hospital's Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization's Performance Excellence Program.
- Performs pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical activities related to laboratory testing to support department workflow as needed; including laboratory test ordering, analysis of specimens, and result data entry using computer-based laboratory information systems.
- Assists in clinical tissue acquisition procedures, and processes tissue for histological evaluation, stem cell isolation, preparation, management, and maintenance of cell lines; cryopreservation, and storage of cells and tissue into liquid nitrogen and ultra-low temperature units.
- Maintains and monitors the biological specimen inventory, utilizing a computer-based inventory tracking system and assists the Sr. Scientist/Coordinator in the oversight of daily laboratory operations, safety, and quality assurance.
- Assists the Sr. Scientist/Coordinator in laboratory coordination of specific research protocols, as assigned. This may also include assisting with developing new techniques and procedures as appropriate for research protocol development.
- Must be competent in performing the duties of the TRI Lab Assistant position:
- Performs a variety of duties involved in the collection, storage, packing, shipping, and documentation of clinical research specimens and data as per protocol requirements.
- Adequately comprehends and follows clinical research methodologies and protocols.
- Continually maintains workspaces as neat, organized, and properly supplied; properly stores documentation and paperwork.
- Assists in conducting inventory control and stocking for all laboratory supplies.
- Performs daily quality control, maintenance, and monitoring of specimen storage units and laboratory equipment.
- Performs care, maintenance, cleaning, and disinfection of selected or assigned laboratory equipment, storage units, and other workspaces.
- As needed, assists in blood specimen collection to include phlebotomy and skin puncture for all age groups.
- Performs processing of blood, urine, and other biological specimens for analysis and/or storage into liquid nitrogen and ultra-low temperature units.
- Packages, labels, and ships a variety of biological specimens according to specified protocols; Completes proper documentation and packaging of study samples for shipment to the appropriate clinical diagnostic and/or analytical laboratories.
- Performs various support activities to facilitate operation of assigned department or work area, which may include answering the telephone, and other clerical duties.
- Assists in orientation and training new laboratory staff, as assigned.
- General Responsibilities:
- Participates in, and has knowledge of, laboratory and hospital Performance Improvement activities, including evaluation of new equipment and/or procedures or methods.
- Adheres to the Florida Hospital Corporate Compliance Plan and to all rules and regulations of all applicable local, state, and federal agencies and accrediting bodies.; protects confidentiality of patient information and results at all times.
- Follows appropriate safety policies including the appropriate use of PPE, hand washing, and hazardous chemical handling. Demonstrates understanding and adheres to Chemical Hygiene plan and Infection Control policies.
- Duties may include transport of hazardous waste from the point of generation to a designated secure storage area; employee will be required to complete initial training (prior to handling hazardous waste) and refresher training to include proper handling and transport of hazardous waste, and proper selection, use and disposal of personal protective equipment.
- Participates in appropriate continuing education activities and enrichment seminars provided by Florida Hospital.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure the smooth operation of the department.
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. Responsibilities are subject to change.
If you want to be a part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest quality in patient care, we invite you to explore the Laboratory Scientist opportunity with Florida Hospital and apply online today.
American Hospital Association
- 2 years ago - save job