The Laboratory Supervisor supervises laboratory training, operations and employees by performing the following functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Maintains demonstrated proficiency with all applicable Standard Operating Procedures.
Semen Specimen Processing
Blood/Urine Specimen Procurement/Processing
- Performs quanititative sperm counts by microscopy.
- Determines volume, percent potility and total motile sperm per specimen.
- Calculates potential number of vials per specimen.
- Determines appropriate means of processing (ICI or IUI) each particular specimen.
- Calculates the amount of cryoextender that must be added to the specimen.
- Assesses sperm morphology using WHO criteria.
- Performs routine cryogenic procedures including vial transfers.
- Performs phlebotomy.
- Processes and prepares blood and urine specimens for transport to reference laboratories.
- Reviews reference lab testing and follows up on positive results or discrepancies.
- Reports applicable positive test results to the Department of Health.
- Reviews reference lab testing invoices for accuracy.
- Trains new processing technicians.
- Manages laboratory schedule to provide adequate coverage, including tank checks.
- Assists the Branch Manager in conducting lab meetings on a regular basis.
- Conducts and accurately records all required quality control checks and takes corrective action as needed.
- Assures routine maintenance of laboratory equipment is performed at defined intervals.
- Assures routine validation of laboratory and cryogenic equipment is performed at defined intervals.
- Abides by all quality assurance/quality control, standard operating, and safety procedures.
- Assures that workload reports on SharePoint are updated at least weekly.
- Reviews and signs off on potential donor specimen evaluations.
- Participates in proficiency assessments.
- Documents and/or communicates errors, accidents or incidents to the Branch Manager.
- Reviews and signs off on monthly QC records.
- Initiates problem logs for any equipment or process issues.
- Contributes to standard operating procedure modifications.
- Reviews donor and client specimen processing data (worksheets or manifests).
- Reviews Navision worksheet entries prior to transfer/post activity.
- Other duties and projects as required.
Assists with supervising employees in the Laboratory Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include assisting the Branch Manager with interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree (BA or BS) in Science or Chemistry and three to five years related experience.
Knowledge of MS Word and Excel.
Certificates, Licenses Registrations:
ASCP certification or Clinical Laboratory Scientist licensing is preferred.
California Cryobank - 2 years ago