The Laboratory Support Assistant provides laboratory support for the Clinical Research Center.
The Laboratory Support Assistant will be responsible for assisting in the collection and processing of specimens for clinical research protocols and procedures.
Duties will include the processing of multiple blood and or tissue samples collected during research tests, sorting, labeling, storing and sample distribution, protocol procedure set-up, operating glucose analyzers during prolonged research testing procedures, and oversee general maintenance and quality control of equipment. Other duties include operation of a DXA scanner including regular quality control and maintenance of the image database; manipulation of electronic and on-line patient and research study programs; ordering and maintenance of CRC supplies.
- Provides general support for the clinical research protocols such as patient care, laboratory procedures, protocol implementation and data entry.
- Performs processing of multiple blood samples collected during research tests including sorting, labeling, storing and sample distribution to various laboratories.
- Set up and maintain study specific blood sample databases.
- Assists study personnel and CRC staff in study procedure set-ups. Includes compiling study specific paperwork, label preparation for specimen collection, and sample coding for FREEZERWORKS storage; retrieval of biospecimens from long-term cold storage.
- Meets with Principal Investigators and Study Nurse/Coordinator in order to become familiar with all protocols and proper specimen processing procedures
- Assists CRC staff and/or performs point of care testing including: hemoccult, glucometer, urine HCG, and UA dipstick testing.
- Assists study personnel during IV procedures which require the use of glucose analyzers and sample processing using a microcentrifuge.
- Prepares specimens and requisitions for samples going to both the clinic laboratory and outside reference laboratories.
- Performs DXA scans per study specific protocols. Includes analyzing and back-up and storage of data.
- Acts as a liaison between the CRC laboratory and other laboratories including assisting study research assistants using CRC laboratories for processing and shipment of samples; Coordinates the processing and transportation of specimens between the CRC, hospital clinical laboratories and other laboratories as needed
- Performs quality control measures on CRC equipment including glucose analyzers, DXA scanner and storage units.
- Coordinates the ordering and maintains the inventory of all laboratory/patient care supplies and stocks accordingly. Oversees the general maintenance of equipment and processing areas.
- Assures appropriate supply and storage of laboratory items (special preservatives, etc.)And rotates stock of supplies in the laboratory to ensure that all supplies and materials are used before their expiration dates. Ensures supplies are not used if expired and are disposed of properly.
- Observes Joslin radiation safety regulations. Use of the DXA scanner involves exposure to low levels of radiation.
- Medical Assistant Certificate or a bachelor’s degree, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired.
Joslin Diabetes Center is an EEO M/F/D/V
- 1-2 years experience with routine clinical and laboratory processing procedures preferred. Biomedical research environment preferred.
- Computer literacy including knowledge of Microsoft Office applications required.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.