o The University of Oregon Institute of Neuroscience invites applications for a full-time Laboratory Technician 1.
o This is a classified position represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
... one year of work experience in a laboratory setting and high school courses in chemistry, biology, mathematics, or any course which included laboratory work; OR
... an equivalent combination of training and experience.
An associate's degree in Laboratory Science may substitute for the required one year of experience working in a laboratory setting.
* Experience with behavioral training and measurement of visual capabilities in mice.
* Experience handling and performing basic health/welfare assessment of mice.
* Ability to work and communicate in a team environment
* Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds.
* Understanding of Matlab-based "Ratrix" software for rodent training.
Position is subject to criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Institute of Neuroscience provides training in and fosters research on the function and development of the nervous system by bringing together scientists form Biology, Psychology, Computer Science, and Exercise and Movement Science into a common area. This position supports research functions. Duties include:
... performing physical tests, such as behavioral training of mice, using using head-fixed automated psychophysics (results measure visual capabilities).
... monitoring health and welfare of the animals, based on weight and appearance; reporting results to UO animal services; ensuring that lab animal use protocols are followed.
... coordinating training schedules to ensure that all experiments are completed on a daily basis.
... overseeing the work of part-time student assistants.
Position works in both a laboratory setting and in animal facility.
To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each question. Make sure that any experience or training described in your responses are included on your application.
1. Describe experience that demonstrates your ability to perform behavioral training and testing in rodents, include any experience with software for rodent training.
2. Describe your experience recording laboratory data and maintaining information in a computer database.
3. Describe experience that demonstrates your ability to monitor the health and welfare of animals.