Performs a variety of chemical and biological analysis of wastewater, sludge and ash to determine pollutant characteristics and concentrations for the facility.
Examples of Duties:
- Collects wastewater samples as assigned by the Technical Services Supervisor in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Operates, calibrates, and maintains laboratory instrumentation for optimum performance and precise analysis.
- Performs wastewater analyses as assigned by the Technical Services Supervisor in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Prepares daily bench sheets, such as sample logs for implant and out plant samples and records results of test.
- Prepares and maintains reports and inventory of chemicals.
- Cleans and maintains equipment, glassware, instrumentation and work area in accordance with operating procedures.
- Serves as Chief Chemist or as Environmental Compliance Coordinator in either’s absences.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Licenses and/or Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biology or related field and at least 2 years experience in lab analysis and wastewater plant operations or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of wastewater laboratory principles, procedures, techniques and related equipment
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance principles
- Knowledge of wastewater monitoring, instrumentation and related software
- Quantitative, research, analytical, written communication and computer skills
- Skill in the use of laboratory equipment and techniques
- Troubleshooting and organization skills
- ABILITY TO WORK ROTATING WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS REQUIRED
- Must pass proficiency tests as established by Chief Chemist
Essential Physical Activities:
- Work is primarily performed indoors but is exposed to temperamental changes (warehouses, covered loading docks, garages, etc.) or extreme noise, odors, heights, dust, fumes or hazardous materials.
- Stooping, crouching, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, hearing, seeing up close, seeing far away, kneeling, reaching, pushing, talking, standing, finger movement, repetitive motions, depth perception
- Typical weight handled: up to 50 lbs.
City of Hopewell, VA - 16 months ago