ClinicalRM has an immediate need for a Laboratory Technician at USAMRIID in Frederick, MD .
1. Shall propagate various microorganisms, including BSL 2 and 3 organisms, using a variety of techniques. Techniques will include growing bacteria on solid and in broth media, harvest bacterial cultures, quantify bacterial cells, and isolating proteins, lipids, carbohydrates or nucleic acids as necessary.
2. Shall isolate, purify, and quality assess nucleic acid preparations from crude viral material.
3. Shall perform microbiological tasks associated with viable Bacillus anthracis, Yersinia pestis, Francisella tularensis, Brucella, Burkholderia, other microbes as necessary in a BSL3 suite.
4. Shall assists in the design and execution of experiments aimed toward the identification and characterization of bacteria and viruses of military importance.
5. Shall use various manual and automated methods to identify and characterize microorganisms.
6. Shall use various commercial and research methods to provide identification of microorganism to genus, species and sub-strain levels.
7. Shall assist with the implementation and maintenance of a quality control system and ensures that equipment, reagents, and supplies are maintained and used properly.
8. Shall assists with the review of data to ensure proper quality control.
9. Shall participate in the implementation of a quality system to include preparing SOPs, QC reports, and other material required to implement a quality system.
10. Shall work independently and prepare technical and scientific reports as required and will be responsible for daily organization and operation of the laboratory.
11. Shall present research findings at internal and external meetings, including conferences and other scientific forums.
12. Shall receive required training in biosafety, chemical materials handling and regulatory in order to safely function in the BSL2/3 laboratory environment. Contractor shall occasionally be required to obtain other training at government expense and commensurate with position to maintain qualifications for position performance, including accreditation compliance.
13. Shall conduct travel at government expense to support material development, provide onsite analysis or participate in scientific meetings as necessary. Operation of government vehicles is occasionally required.
14. Shall work in close coordination with other government contractors and government employees in various studies to achieve program objectives.
15. Shall maintain a safe workplace ensuring that he/she is aware of and observes appropriate safety and occupational health rules and regulations.
16. Employee is required to attend safety training relative to his/her position and report any infractions of safety procedures to the TOCOR immediately.
17. Maintain a safe workplace ensuring that he/she is aware of and observes appropriate safety and occupational health rules and regulations.
18. Employee is required to attend safety training relative to his/her position and report any infractions of safety procedures to the TOCOR immediately.
1. B.S. degree and 7 years prior experience or M.S. degree and 2 years prior experience in Bio-safety Level 3 containment suite.
2. Bio-safety Level 2 and Bio-safety level 3 (BSL 2/3) required.
3. Special Immunization Program required.
4. Be a U.S. citizen, must have a SSBI, and must fill out a confidentiality agreement.
5. Enrollment in Personal Reliability Program (PRP) required.
6. Center for Disease Control (CDC) clearance will be required for work conducted with select agents.
7. Knowledge of and skill in applying, the principles, concepts, and techniques applicable to a limited scientific area of microbiology work in a medical laboratory sufficient to:
a. Work with commonly known pathogenic bacteria;
b. Collect and test specimens to determine what forms are present or absent,
c. Ensure that the full range of routine methods, procedures, techniques, and applicable quality controls have been correctly conducted; and
d. Conduct preliminary microbiological diagnostic services that involve pathogenic organisms that are difficult to identify.
8. The candidate should have experience in classical microbiology techniques of culture propagation and biochemical identifications, sufficient to allow independent isolation and characterization leading to a confirmation of bacterial identity.
9. The candidate should have experience with molecular biology techniques to include polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and immunoassays, and sample preparation to include DNA/RNA extraction procedures.
10. The candidate should have experience with working under a quality system like ISO9000 or the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA).
11. Must possess organizational and communication skills and have a proven track record of working independently and as a team player.
12. The candidate must have received and continue to receive the necessary vaccinations against anthrax and smallpox. Other vaccines will be offered.
ClinicalRM is a full service Contract Research Organization. ClinicalRM contributes to the development of vaccines, drugs, and devices by offering high quality clinical and research support services including, but not limited to; Program Management, Project and Site Management, Clinical Data Management, Clinical Monitoring, Regulatory Support, Safety Oversight, Quality Management, Statistical Analysis & Reporting, Site Contracts & Payments, and a host of related services in the GMP, GLP, and GCP arenas.
Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Candidates for positions under ClinicalRM’s contracts with the Department of Defense (DoD) will be required to pass one or more background/security investigations conducted by the DoD, U.S. Army, or other Federal Government agency. Such investigations may include criminal records and credit history checks.
ClinicalRM is an Affirmative Action-Equal Opportunity Employer.
Clinical Research Management - 15 months ago