This position will provide key support for faculty research lab, including animal husbandry and general laboratory oversight.
Mouse colony maintenance
Biological sample preparation and testing
- Animal husbandry including (but not limited to): breeding, weaning of mice, checking on animals, record keeping, feeding animals.
- Update colony census software (Excel based) and post in laboratory.
- Genotyping (including but not limited to): tail biopsies, genomic DNA preparation, PCR reactions, gel electrophoresis.
- Update all IACUC animal protocols.
- Communicate with animal facility manager regarding animal health and compliance.
- Tail vein injections.
- Prepare compound for injections.
- Transcardial perfusions of animals and organ dissections.
- Brain dissections for protein/RNA sample preparation.
- Run behavioral assays.
Supervision of graduate, undergraduate students and interns
- GENERAL LABORATORY: maintain ongoing list of supplies needed for successful research; order supplies; clean glassware
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY: prepare solutions, pour agar plates, autoclave items
- TISSUE CULTURE: monitor liquid nitrogen dewars; oversee monthly tissue culture rotation, make aliquots, split cells
- Monitor rotation for animal checks
- Maintain equipment and coordinate repairs
- Demonstrate use of lab equipment.
- Explain and assist students with procedures.
- Oversee students performing procedures and experiments.
Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Behavioral Neuroscience, or Neuroscience or equivalent combination of education and experience
One to three years related work experience
Experience working with mice or other animals and/or laboratory setting
Good analytical and decision making skills
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Solid computer skills with experience using word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software
Ability to create and manipulate databases
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
This position is funded by soft dollars; there is no severance associated with this position
Lehigh University - 13 months ago