Lactation Consultant Per Diem
Job ID: 26537
City: St. Paul, MN
Location: RH - Regions Hospital & Clinics
Position Type: On Call
Anticipated Work Schedule: Per diem
Shift: Per diem
Hrs/Pay Period: 0
Under the general direction of the Nurse Manager, the Lactation consultant provides counsel to patients in the inpatient and the outpatient setting. The Lactation consultant makes assessments in person or on the phone, providing guidance for breastfeeding issues, including but not limited to difficult latch, low milk supply, insufficient weight gain, and prematurity. The Lactation Consultant makes appropriate referrals to members of the interdisciplinary team. The Lactation Consultant assists in the development and teaching of lactation education to nursing and medical staff. The Lactation Consultant performs related duties as assigned.
Completion of a healthcare related program (e.g. physician, physician assistant, registered nurse or respiratory therapy).
Two years experience in same or similar role in lieu of completion of healthcare related program is accepted.
Six months (1,040 hours) of clinical experience in maternal/child is preferred.
Six months (1,040 hours) experience as a Lactation Consultant preferred.
* Knowledge of lactation physiology, breastfeeding techniques, basic and complicated lactation problem solving techniques.
* Ability to effectively communicate to all ages of mothers and their companions.
* Knowledge of teaching and learning principles.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of patient care staff, non-patient care staff, patients, families, general public and external agencies.
* Ability to manage multiple simultaneous tasks and prioritize appropriately.
* Ability to perform basic word processing on a computer.
* Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
* Ability to participate on an interdisciplinary treatment team.
Currently certified as an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) or will be in 6 months.
Current certification/licensure in applicable field (e.g. MD, Physician Assistant, Nursing, and Respiratory Therapy) preferred.
Demonstrates at the time of employment and every two years thereafter, competency in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
Demonstrates at time of employment and every two years thereafter, competency in Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP).
Regions Hospital - 18 months ago