Develops and revises complex applications requiring extensive analysis to meet current and future customer and corporate objectives. Consults with IT programming staff and the user community on programming issues that will meet business and corporate objectives. Prepares detailed specifications from which applications will be written. Responsible for program design, coding, testing, debugging, and documentation. Instructs and checks the work of other application analysts. Responsible for ensuring standards and methodologies are followed and quality assurance review is met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
- Under general supervision, collects, analyzes, and interprets data to be used in program development to meet the defined user requirements. Prepares detailed specifications for programs of all levels of complexity, estimates hardware/software/human resource requirements, prepares development time estimates for assigned tasks and is responsible for meeting those estimates. Updates or creates technical and user documentation.
- Codes programs of difficult complexity, using the most effective techniques. Is capable of using all functions/options of multiple programming languages. Creates test data to execute all functions of the coded programs and performs integrated testing of all components in a large computer system or subsystem. Executes program testing and is responsible for its accuracy and effectiveness.
- Communicates system concepts and provides user training. Assures user requirements are satisfied and that development occurs according to specifications. Coordinates with other IT areas to maintain efficiency of application systems and ensure that they have ample time to prepare. Collaborates with users to obtain feedback on effectiveness of the system.
- Researches and responds to user questions about procedures, program functions or interdependencies/interrelationships of large systems or subsystems. Works with users to improve their understanding, operating, or interdependencies/interrelationships for systems.
- Develops and educates the basic concepts and techniques for planning, organizing, and controlling all phases of a project. Organizes, directs, and assists programming efforts of others as needed. Under some supervision, would plan, organize and control small or medium sized development projects or programs.
- Troubleshoots operating problems from a business perspective. Resolves problems using processes of problem definition and identification, fact gathering, alternate suggestion, solution recommendations and feasibility studies. Derives computer solutions and computer design based on the business solutions for projects of medium to large complexity.
- Understands and utilizes the techniques for the successive phases of problem analysis. Performs the analysis, research, and resolution of production program problems. Responsible for maintaining, debugging, and modifying programs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Information Systems or Business Administration.
- Minimum of four to six year Programming/Analysis experience.
- 5+ years of experience in Java, J2EE
- Experience across a variety of technologies including: integration technologies and Hyperion Essbase with a general knowledge of operating systems (Linux, Windows) as well as network and server infrastructure.
- Experience with Spring, Struts and/or Hibernate preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of Big Lots technologies.
- Full technical knowledge of all phases of applications systems analysis and programming.
- Works within the Enterprise Analytics Team on Business Intelligence Technologies.
- Supports supply chain analytics with custom class planning applications and Microstrategy.
- Must have a solid understanding of SDLC
- Load or stress testing preferred
- Solid understanding of the business or function for which application is designed.
- General knowledge of several business functions from the company operations perspective.
Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, Big Lots, Inc. (NYSE: BIG) is a unique, non-traditional, discount retailer operating 1,495 Big Lots stores...