GE is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation.
As an applied mathematician, you will analyze problems from a mathematical perspective and bring mathematical concepts, tools and techniques to bear on a variety of data analysis and computing problems. Your role as a mathematician will be to bring a complementary mathematical perspective to teams of engineers and computer scientists, and bring new mathematical innovations to bear on multi-disciplinary problems of interest to GE.
You will work closely with teams of engineers and computer scientists to construct solutions to important problems of interest to GE businesses in fields like aviation, energy, transportation, healthcare, finance and others. You will work in the formulation of problems (translating customer requirements into precise formulations), create algorithms to solve such problems, and implement prototype solutions or entire solutions to these problems. You will also be required to communicate your ideas with customers, colleagues and GE management.
As a Applied Mathematician working on an interdisciplinary team, you will:
- Provide technical leadership in applied mathematics
- Innovate by proposing new ideas, finding means of funding them and successfully deliver tangible results
- Build relationships with existing and new customers inside and outside GE
- Determine mathematical methodologies needed; apply such methodologies to new problems that may not have been exposed to such approaches before.
- Demonstrate conceptual advantages of proposed mathematical methods.
- Demonstrate computational superiority of proposed mathematical methods over existing methods and algorithms (e.g. render an infeasible problem feasible, or increase computational efficiency dramatically, or bring new computational methods to bear where none have existed before).
- Effectively communicate technical analyses and results, including to senior and executive management.
- Doctorate degree in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, or related areas, with solid experience in the broad areas falling within the 2010 AMS Subject Classifications 11-XX through 14-XX or 51-XX through 58-XX.
- At least 3 years of post-degree experience in mathematics, applied mathematics or related fields
- Strong interest in applied problems and ability to apply theoretical knowledge to solve applied industrial problems.
- Superior communication skills in explaining technical mathematical material to a variety of audiences (both technical and non-technical).
- Superior programming skills, and competency in major mathematical software packages (e.g. Maple, Mathematica, Sage, Matlab, R etc.) and programming languages (e.g. C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- Willingness to travel periodically based on customer need.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Masters level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
Must be 18 years or older.
You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- Experience in areas of data analysis (topological data analysis, or differential geometric techniques applied to data analysis topics, study of massive, high-dimensional datasets via topological, differential geometric or related methods) or large networks (newly emerging graph theoretic methods, including algebraic topics (e.g. graph homomorphisms), analytic topics (e.g. limits of graph sequences), or related topics).
- Our interests are not limited to the above areas; other subject areas will also be seriously considered. The areas in the previous bullet are examples of potential areas of interest.
- An open mind to a variety of applications, and will be flexible to the research needs of a rapidly evolving industrial landscape.
- Willingness to explore problems outside previous research areas and adapt to other areas.
- Deep knowledge of mathematical theory as well as a broad understanding of a variety of applications.
- We seek candidates with an eagerness to grapple with the particular details of each application area, and invent new mathematical techniques to solve applied problems.
- Strong leadership traits, ability to take initiative, lead teams and deliver tangible results
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proven record of being driven by customer needs.
- Professional association involvement (AMS, SIAM etc.) and active publishing record
This position is eligible for The Employee Referral Program
Imagine what GE Global Research will make happen next. If you are ready to join us, click on the “Apply to job” button below.
Section 19 Job
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS OF SECTION 19 OF THE FEDERAL DEPOSIT INSURANCE ACT.
Apply to job
Save to cart
GE Careers - 17 months ago
copy to clipboard
At GE, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Developing people is how we have succeeded across industries...