San Diego Role synopsis The BP Biofuels business has three strategic initiatives:
1) Build a material Brazilian sugarcane ethanol business by 2020 to serve domestic and export markets.
2) Develop, commercialize and monetize advanced premium biomolecules worldwide.
3) Build a bioethanol business based on energy crops and advanced lignocellulosic (LC) conversion technologies in the U.S.
Within the Biofuels Business the Technology Function is responsible for identifying and delivering technology options to support the three core businesses.
To lead the process engineering aspects of feasibility studies and the appraise/select/define stages of projects to commercialize new biofuels technology. This will include:
At BP Alternative Energy we're investing in new ways of providing energy - from innovative new solar and wind businesses to advanced biofuels and clean energy technologies such as the capture and storage of carbon dioxide from traditional fossil fuels. These will provide customers with clean, secure energy - and they will shape the evolution of the global energy industry in the coming decades.
- Supervising a team to develop process flow sheets for new biofuels production technologies.
- Co-coordinating the Aspen modeling of new biofuels processes.
- Managing the demonstration plant technology development programs and communication of results to the BP Biofuels Leadership Team.
- Developing the capital costs and operating costs for facilities operating new biofuels technology/processes.
- Working closely with the business’ external engineering and technology teams to understand the process engineering challenges associated with new biofuels technology developments.
- Influencing the work programs to ensure process engineering challenges are adequately addressed and managing delivery of key project elements that partners may be contracted to provide.
- Networking with the biofuels engineering and technology teams to fully understand the biological and chemical aspects of new technology.
- In the longer term, preparing Process Design Packages to allow an Engineering Contractor to successfully complete FEED and detailed engineering of new biofuels facilities. Key accountabilities • To lead a team to develop engineering designs of process technology options and determine optimal economic feasibility in terms of capital requirements and operating costs.
- To provide guidance to Research & Development teams in terms of developing definition of what data is required for successful scale-up and future commercialization of process technologies.
- To lead the technology interface with the demonstration plant operations team and ensure the demonstration trials mitigate technology risk in the major projects. Essential Education • Degree level qualification in Biochemical or Chemical Engineering. Essential experience and job requirements • Experienced in leading R&D teams to translate technology developments into commercial plant designs.
- Experienced in the front end engineering design of biofuels/chemicals/refining conversion processes including process flow sheet development, aspen modelling, process engineering design and capital cost estimation.
- Experience in working with engineering contractors and technology providers in all aspects of process engineering design.
- Demonstrated understanding of BPs CVP process and its application within capital projects.
- Promotes Process Safety in engineering design.
- Ability to perform successfully in an ambiguous environment.
- Ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities. Other essential skills and knowledge Biofuels Capabilities:
- Value Creator: Focuses their energy on the actions that will add the greatest value to Biofuels, showing initiative, flexibility and resilience in doing so. Seeks to exceed expectations and look beyond the tried and tested to solve problems.
- People Developer: Works to achieve own and others’ potential. Balances the pressure to focus on short-term delivery with the longer-term need to develop the next generation of talent for the business.
- Great Partner: Builds strong and enduring relationships across and outside the business. Collaborates effectively at all levels, recognising the value of those with different expertise and from different backgrounds.
- Operational Expertise: Simplifies and clarifies situations and processes; delivers operational value through intelligent application of processes; strives for “silent running” operations. Desirable criteria & qualifications • Experience in the scale-up of commercial processes and, delivery of commercial process design packages preferably in the biofuels or chemicals based industries. Relocation available Yes - Domestic (In country) only Travel required Yes - up to 25% Is this a part time position? No About BP Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
In Biofuels, our business in conventional products such as bio-ethanol is already substantial, accounting for about 10% of the world market. However, as well as providing today's biofuels, we're also developing tomorrow's. We are investing $500 million over 10 years in the Energy Biosciences Institute to explore options for advanced biofuels and other applications of biotechnology to energy.
Disclaimer If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. BP is an equal opportunity employer. Segment Alternative Energy Removal Time 23:59 (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada) Removal Date 06-Dec-2012
BP - 2 years ago
BP p.l.c. (BP) is an oil company, operating through its subsidiaries. With effect from January 1, 2008, it operated in two business...