This is a Police Department staff civilian position that works with the Operations Coordinator assisting in the overseeing the Community Service Officers and Adult Crossing Guards. The work involves the direct handling of calls and performing the related record keeping of work performed. The incumbent works under the general supervision of the Operations Coordinator Captain.
Examples of Duties:
• Performs administrative functions for all areas related to the Community Service Officer and Adult Crossing Guards.
• Assists with the hiring and preparation of the Field Training Officer process for new Community Services Officers.
• Completes work schedules, prepares and conducts evaluations, performing quality control of all paperwork for Community Service Officers.
• Coordinates with District Police Officers and Supervisors in performing non law enforcement tasks. May attend District meetings.
• Assists with preparation of unit training meetings, and keeping attendance reports for the Community Service Officers and Adult Crossing Guards.
• Coordinates and oversees special events functions with preparation, monitoring, reviewing event plans and after the completion makes the appropriate recommendations for improvements.
• Coordinates and oversees adult crossing functions by scheduling and ensuring daily coverage.
• Coordinates and oversees animal control functions by monitoring the response to calls, daily animal logs, issuing of citations, investigations and contacts to animal owners.
• Coordinates and oversees follow-up work on licensing after written warnings have been issued, and maintain files on animal bites and rabies cases.
• Acts as a liaison between Fox Valley Humane Association and the Appleton Police Department.
• Coordinates and oversees the issuing of warning notices and citations for Community Service officer functions relating to local ordinance violations.
• Maintains regular punctual and predictable attendance, works overtime and extra hours as required.
• May perform Community Service Officer duties relating to animal control, crossing guard and special events when needed.
• May testify in court cases.
• Other duties as assigned.
Requires experience in dealing with the public; graduation from an accredited high school or it's equivalent or any combination of education, training and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
This position also requires the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Knowledge of Defensive Driving techniques.
• Knowledge of the precautions necessary to work safely in and around vehicular traffic.
• Knowledge of animal control ordinance and related practices.
• Ability to use general office equipment.
• Ability to coordinate and oversee a multiple of tasks performed by others.
• Ability to maintain records and related reports.
• Ability to read and understand street maps and directions.
• Ability to understand and carry out oral and/or written instructions.
• Ability to maintain effective relationships with other employees and the public and to deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner.
• Ability to gather information and complete reports.
• Knowledge of Defensive Driving techniques. Ability to drive a motor vehicle; possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin driver's license.