MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :|
High school diploma or equivalent
Three years paid work experience as a custodian in a commercial building Individuals operating a motor vehicle for County business must possess a valid driver’s license. The finalist will be required to pass a drug test, physical exam and criminal history investigation, to include fingerprint-based background check, all at County expense RESPONSIBILITIES : Skilled lead custodial worker responsible for directing work assignments, training custodians, monitoring custodial team activities to ensure high quality service is maintained, and ensuring conformance to department policies, procedures and safety practices. DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE :
More than three years paid work experience as a custodian in a commercial building
Lead worker or supervisory experience in the custodial field
Lead worker or supervisory experience in a non-custodial field
Post-secondary training in custodial/building maintenance
Work experience using a web-based work order system
Work experience operating a rider floor sweeper
Work experience operating a rider floor scrubber
Work experience operating a rider carpet cleaner
Work experience operating a walk-behind sweeper SELECTION TECHNIQUE : Your training and experience will be rated based on the required application material submitted and the top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.
HOURS / DAYS : 6:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. OR 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. OR 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Work schedules (hours and days) and location are subject to change based on department needs. ANTICIPATED HIRING RATE : $14.18 - $16.80/hour
Skilled custodial and maintenance work in County facilities to include the Government Center, Law Enforcement Center, Libraries, Service Centers and other office/facilities. The lead worker is responsible for directing work assignments and training custodians, monitoring custodial unit team activities to ensure high quality service is maintained and ensures conformance to department policies/procedures and safety practices. Works independently under the limited supervision and is reviewed through discussion and on the basis of results achieved.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Education and Experience: High school diploma or equivalent and three years paid work experience as a custodian in a commercial building. Post-secondary training related to custodial/building maintenance and lead worker or supervisory experience highly desirable.
Must have own means of reliable transportation for business purposes; Individuals operating a motor vehicle for County business must possess a valid driver's license.
The finalist for a position vacancy will be required to pass a drug test, physical exam and a criminal history investigation, to include fingerprint-based background check, all at County expense.
Knowledge: Demonstrated knowledge and ability to employ proper methods and materials in the care and maintenance of buildings and grounds; knowledge of occupational hazards and the ability to employ proper safety procedures.
Ability to: Operate machines and equipment necessary to accomplish assigned tasks; direct the activities of one or more subordinates; make independent decisions; demonstrate good leadership skills; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in a team environment; establish and maintain cooperative and harmonious relationships with internal and external customers; and report to work on a regular and timely basis.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
1. Leads, directs and trains subordinate Custodians. Adjusts work assignments and reports deficiencies and accomplishments to the supervisor. Provides input to staff evaluations.
2. Performs scheduled cleaning and housekeeping tasks in County facilities including sweeping, dusting, trash removal, cleaning of fixtures, vacuuming and periodic cleaning of carpet and upholstered furniture, window cleaning, exterior and interior, and such other tasks as are required.
3. Assists in exterior building and grounds maintenance, snow and ice control, etc. Operates hand and power equipment in maintaining buildings and grounds.
4. Selects products, equipment and materials appropriate for intended use, utilizes safety equipment and handling procedures necessary to prevent exposure of self, tenants or public to hazardous conditions.
5. Coordinates with supervisor to order supplies; stocks, secures and inventories supplies; picks up and unloads freight supplies. Researches needs for special or updated equipment.
6. Responsible for setting up building and meeting room furniture, displays and other room accommodations per work orders.
7. Secures building by checking locks, doors and windows.
8. Responds to requests for information and inquiries from the public or vendors in person or over the phone. Communicates operational information to succeeding shift.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: #1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9 and work environment section as stated herein.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed at the Government Center, Law Enforcement Center, Libraries and other County satellite offices and facilities. Occasional to frequent lifting, pushing/pulling of up to 40 lbs. in the performance of duties. Rare lifting requirement of up to 50 lbs with and/or without assistance; trash compactor involves pushing/pulling up to 400 lbs with assistance. Exposures may include cleaning chemicals, seasonal temperature extremes, and on occasions bodily fluids, infectious diseases and hazardous waste. Senses used on a constant basis include seeing, hearing and smelling. Must perform the following motions on a constant basis: walking, bending, squatting, turning/twisting, kneeling, climbing, reaching out, reaching up, grasping, wrist turning and finger manipulation. Equipment used may include but is not limited to snow blower, pallet jack, truck with plow, hand tools, vacuum, floor buffer, broom, drying fans, telephone, pager and personal computer. Additional physical/mental requirements that occur may not be listed above, but are inherent in performing the position's essential functions.
TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR - Custodian Supervisor
This description is intended to describe the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty being performed by people assigned to this classification. The list of responsibilities is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.