Posting Title |
Lead ESXi Developer Productivity Engineer
VMware (NYSE: VMW) is the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, two areas that consistently rank as top priorities among CIOs. VMware delivers award-winning, customer-proven solutions that accelerate IT by reducing complexity and enabling more flexible, agile service delivery. Our solutions help organizations of all sizes, lower costs, increase business agility and ensure freedom of choice. We are searching for people who are ready to energize, innovate and lead to join our team of more than 9,000 employees in 40+ locations worldwide working to develop innovative solutions that deliver the future of IT through cloud computing. Having the audacity to challenge constraints and problem-solve for tomorrow starts today, and it starts with you. Learn more at www.vmware.com/careers.
Why work for our Division
VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China.
As a member of the ESXi Developer Productivity team within VMware’s ESXi division, the candidate will assist in identifying and implementing high-value projects that improve ESXi kernel engineers’ productivity. Developing, acquiring, or purchasing a wide variety of analytical or functional tools or methodologies to support the goal of increasing developer productivity may accomplish this. It will be up to this team to work closely with the ESXi developers to develop the appropriate priorities around such efforts. The candidate should be capable of working on core kernel code.
The ideal candidate should be a detail oriented engineer capable of gathering and defining requirements, designing, implementing and maintaining production tools, developing new tools, as well as quickly understanding existing tools and making necessary improvements. A proven track record of delivering high quality developer tools/technologies is a must. We are looking for a person with great technical, interpersonal and communication skills and passion for working with VMware products and open source software. This position involves close work with VMware software developers who have both high expectations and detailed technical backgrounds.
- B.S. in Computer Science or related technical field, M.S. preferred, or equivalent
- 10+ years experience in software development
- 6+ years experience in developer tools development
- OS kernel development experience required (not just driver development)
- Strong understanding of BSD-like systems preferred, Linux/Unix is acceptable
- Experience with Intel x86 CPU architecture and Intel based server architectures
- Knowledge of Virtualization solutions desirable
- Must have strong programming skills; C (required) / C++ (desired) / Java (desired)
- Must have strong OS development skills; Linux/UNIX
- Must have strong scripting skills; Python (preferred) / Perl / Ruby / shell
- Experience with web application frameworks (Django, Ruby on Rails)
- Experience with a variety of databases desirable
- Demonstrable experience in the use, maintenance, and updates of open-source software
- Must have understanding of build systems and makefiles (GNU Make); SCons and Maven desirable
- Demonstrable experience working on Linux development toolchain (compilers, linkers, debugger (gdb preferred))
- Experience with source code management; git and/or Perforce preferred
- Experience supporting R&D organizations
- Ability to travel internationally 2-4 weeks per year
Palo Alto, CA, US
Is this a remote or multiple location position?
VMware - 2 years ago
VMware is the leader in cloud infrastructure, business mobility and virtualization software. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and...