This position has shared responsibility for optimizing the cost and performance of the assets of the transmission/distribution system. This position is responsible for the strategic development, expansion, planning, design, maintenance and operation of the system and its equipment to meet the mission and objectives of the organization. In addition, this position coordinates the evaluation of system failures, and the appropriate resolutions, in order to provide support to operations on unplanned maintenance. This position shares accountability with peers in the strategy, development, and design of the organization’s Life Cycle Plan, a comprehensive long-term plan for the transmission/distribution system. Responsible for supervising, assigning, prioritizing and directing the work performed by other Engineers. Depending on the specific assignment, this position could be situated in various service centers, accountable for specific asset systems (circuits, feeders, substations etc.) or centralized with accountability for component assets (cable, relays, transmission lines, breakers etc.). This position may require on-call responsibilities.
- Manages, coaches, develops and reviews performance of engineers and other staff.
- Develops infrastructure strategy, operating philosophy and technical basis for asset renewal decisions.
- Works closely with System Planning on process integration (Bulk Power Substations).
- Responsible for the cost and performance of certain assets on the system including reliability analysis and trending of system events and monitoring of equipment condition.
- Responsible for the development, justification and authorization of the Life Cycle Plan activities over a multi-year horizon and for the ongoing management.
- Responsible for the development and management of a preventive maintenance optimization program
- Responsible for the development of preliminary engineering designs and the details, as necessary.
- Coordinates and prioritizes Life Cycle Plan work within each service area and across Electric Operations and participates in the work scheduling process.
- Collaborates with other Engineers within Engineering to ensure consistency and teamwork.
- Provides technical support and direction to operating areas relative to system priorities, engineering guidelines and operating decisions during normal and emergency situations.
- Accountable for root-cause analysis, development and implementation of corrective actions.
- Works closely with Investment Planning on project justification and financial rationing.
- Responsible for the evaluation and selection of technology and equipment for the system.
- Responsible for the development of standards and procedures for design, operation and maintenance.
- Assumes the role of Project Manager, as required.
Education: Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related discipline.
Experience: Minimum of eight (8) years in utility distribution engineering. Supervisory experience preferred.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and support a diversified environment. It is the policy and practice of NSTAR Electric & Gas to employ persons and to assign work, pay, promote and offer training to all persons on the same basis without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran.
NSTAR - 16 months ago