DC Central Kitchen seeks a Lead Food Service Worker to join our dynamic team and support our mission of “Combating hunger and Creating opportunity.” The DCPS contract provides meals from locally sourced food to students in the Washington, DC Public Schools. The Food Service Worker Lead position is responsible for working with the Unit Chef and culinary team in preparation and presentation of food for DCPS.
Major Responsibilities include:
- Prepare breakfast, lunch and/or snacks in accordance with contract standards( preparation by chopping, washing, assembling, sorting)
- Sets up serving lines and serves meals during breakfast , lunch, and snack periods.
- Review menus prior to preparation of food.
- Assure that all food procedures are followed.
- Coordinate food service with other departments as necessary.
- Store food and supplies in accordance with instructions.
- Follow approved housekeeping and safety practices to ensure that safe conditions are maintained in the kitchen, food serving areas.
- Operate, clean and sanitizes all kitchen equipment.
- Cooperate with Food Service worker to provide a positive and inviting dining experience for students, parents, and faculty.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Exec Chef or Production Manager.
- Participate in professional development training.
- Participate in activities that will promote the school food service program.
- Operate POS (Point of Sales) terminal during meals.
- Track and complete montly inventory via excel spreadsheet.
- Maintain and monitor daily inventory control( proper handling of leftover food)
- Culinary Graduate Preferred
- Ability to work in an environment where exposure to unusual elements such as extreme temperatures,fumes, dirt, smoke, loud noise, and a variety of odors is common.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs., comfortable with strenuous outdoor activity.
- Moderate physical activity required.
- Desire to be part of a large nonprofit whose mission is to "combat hunger and create opportunity"
- Demonstrated hotel or restaurant experience preferably in a large quantity production environment.
- 1-Year of Supervisory/Managerial skills.
- 2-Year of Culinary experience.
- High School Diploma; Associate degree or higher preferred.(Proof of highest degree earned will be required upon hire)
- Ability to maintain ServSafe Food Safety Certification.
Candidates will be required to successfully complete a criminal background check/ FBI Fingerprinting through District of Columbia, pre-employment drug screen and tuberculosis test.
****** Please include a cover letter with resume on one document as the system will only allow one upload********
DC CENTRAL KITCHEN - 13 months ago