The Lead Gardener performs landscaping labor while providing direction and support to assigned crew as appropriate to ensure work is being accomplished according to organizational policies and customer expectations.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Oversees the day-to-day gardening and landscaping operations per external customer and HSI/WARC requirements.
Performs labor with crew (i.e. weeding, lifting, digging holes, installing sod, setting up irrigation).
Operates tools and equipment (tractors, mowers, weed eaters, trailers, skids).
Coordinates gardening and landscaping activities by setting priorities and assigning work.
Provides guidance, direction and landscaping support to crew as appropriate.
Identifies development and training needs for crew, working with the Quality Assurance Manager to ensure that training is obtained as needed.
Trains crew in job skills, proper landscaping methods, use of equipment, safety practices and other workplace regulations.
Ensures safety of assigned staff and maintains a clean, safe and appropriate work environment.
Maintains inventory of assigned equipment and supplies, coordinating orders as needed.
Works with Director of Federal Contracts on new job development initiatives.
Completes required documentation and reports in an accurate and timely manner.
Creates and maintains effective working relations with staff, co-workers and customers.
Expected Workplace Behavior :
- Demonstrate a high level of interpersonal skills and professionalism.
- Work independently with little or no supervision.
- Demonstrate ability to learn and apply job responsibilities and regulations.
- Suggest creative solutions to improve the workplace.
- Accomplish multiple tasks within given deadlines.
- Share specific training and other relevant information with other team members.
- Handle confidential and non-routine information appropriately.
- Communicate with people who have disabilities, customers, coworkers, and the general public in a kind, professional, and courteous manner.
- Act as a liaison between HSI/WARC staff and external contract customer.
- Represent the organization in a positive manner, including both verbal and body language.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from co-workers and customers.
- Maintain the privacy and confidentiality of protected health information of the individuals served as per HIPAA requirements.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Requirements and Demands :
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- Regularly required to sit or stand, bend, stoop, grasp and reach.
- Ability to lift 70 lbs, occasionally over extended periods of time.
Tools & Equipment :
- Multi-line telephone, cell-phone, PC and software applications, and printer/fax/copier.
- Agricultural/landscaping tools, machinery and equipment including but not limited to: tractors, skids, trailers, mowers, weed eaters, hand and power tools.
- Exposure dust.
- Exposure to heavy duty cleaning product.
Other work as assigned
Must be able to perform essential functions with or without accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made for qualified individuals who have a disability.
Language Skills : Ability to read, write, type and speak in English. Ability to read, write and understand reports and documents.
Mathematical Skills : Ability to count, calculate basic figures and time.
Reasoning Ability : Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Minimum Qualifications (Education/Experience) :
- Ability to pass Organizational drug testing and criminal background check requirements, including Fallon Naval Air Station base security clearance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard agricultural/landscaping methods, tools, equipment and supplies and ability to operate equipment.
- Ability to learn, apply and train staff on operational regulations and procedures.
- Ability to complete training courses, attend classes and apply learned material.
- Ability to work with individuals who have a disability in a professional and respectful manner.
- Ability to problem solve with co-workers and customers.
- Ability to multi-task and effectively manage multiple priorities under limited to no supervision.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- Valid Driver’s License with acceptable driving record (no more than 3 points), no reckless driving or DUI convictions over past two years.
- One year of actual field experience in a landscape maintenance environment, preferably with experience working and facilitating with people who have a disability.
- Experience in a product or schedule driven environment a plus.
High Sierra Industries - 16 months ago