As an individual contributor QA Manager position, the Lead QA Engineer position is responsible for leading large and complex Corporate Sponsored Projects and Production Maintenance efforts through inspection of Design Documents, creation of manual and automated test scripts, execution of those test scripts and entering and retesting any related defects.
The Lead QA Engineer oversees small teams of Senior and QA Engineers and contractors, and is responsible for the overview and cross application interdependencies. Deep knowledge of LPL systems and sub-systems is a must to develop appropriate testing strategies. The Lead QA Engineer acts like a Customer Advocate, understanding user scenarios, collaborating closely with UAT and is a go-to person for BA’s, QA’s and sometimes new Developers as well. Lead QA Engineers also act as Application SMEs/Owners for QA and are responsible for improving Application Coverage and Quality through various Department Initiatives. Most often, the Lead QA Engineer position is assigned 50-75% Projects and 25-50% to QA Application Maintenance/Department Initiatives. Typically, the Lead QA Engineer position owns 3 to 4 large Applications and several Medium-size Applications. Lead QA Engineers serve as backups to QA Managers and often lead 3 to 5 geographically diverse QA Engineers. This position will be based in Charlotte, NC while other QA Lead and Management positions are based in San Diego, CA.
As the Charlotte QA Team continues to grow, this position must be interested in assuming and overseeing assigned Management functions for the Charlotte-based QA Engineers. A strong desire and a future ability to manage others is key to staffing this position.
- Leading Large/Complex Projects (Estimates, Test Strategies, Status Reporting, Day-to Day Assignments for QA Engineers and Senior QA Engineers.)
- Ensuring and driving cross functional reviews of Requirements, Design and Code
- Thorough understanding of LPL systems and sub-systems
- Ensuring multiple assigned teams are performing well and conducting all QA activities as required
- Application QA Ownership Activities (Master Test Plans, Automation Coverage, Training Documentation, etc.)
- Make sure that Applications that the Lead is responsible for are updated and maintained regularly
- Create or Execute Sanity, New Functionality and/or Regression Test Scripts documenting and retesting Software Defects. Review the work artifacts of engineers in the QA team assigned to the Lead
- Thought Leader in the QA organization, bringing industry standard best practices and methodology to the Department.
- Mentor and role model
- Work through other QA Engineers and Senior QA Engineers and often take minimal direction from QA Managers and AVPs.
- Actively engage other Project Stakeholders (Project Managers, UAT Coordinators, Business Sponsors, Developers/Tech Leads) in formal and informal Project Meetings
- Attend and sometime lead Department Meetings with Sr. QA and BTS Managers.
Minimum Education Required:
BS College Degree in Computer Science related field or relevant equivalent and/or necessary Job Experience
- Minimum Experience Required: (including years of experience)
- 10 years of QA experience or equivalent testing Web and/or Mobile Applications.
- Advanced knowledge of various Software Development Lifecycles, QA Methodologies and Test Techniques, Defect Life-Cycles, creation of Test Plan/Test Strategy documents.
- Proven ability to lead large/complex QA Projects and large teams of QA Engineers.
- Familiarity with Microsoft technologies is preferred, Industry Test Management and Defect Tracking Systems (HP Quality Center), Advanced SQL and communication/leadership skills.
- Financial Certifications would be a big plus.
LPL Financial Services - 9 months ago