What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nations premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
Who May Apply : Open to US citizens and applicants eligible under Schedule A authority.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-M3-14-1168217 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Disease (NCIRD), Office of Infectious Diseases (OID), Division of Bacterial Diseases (DBD), Meningitis and Vaccine Preventable Diseases (MVPD), Atlanta, GA.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Occasional Travel
- 2% Domestic and 4% International
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Background investigation required.
- Immunization required.
DUTIES: Back to top
As a Lead Research Microbiologist you will:
- Serve as Team Lead for the Meningitis Laboratory located within the MVPDB and as such provides leadership to a team of scientists coordinating a comprehensive research program which serves as a nationally recognized expert for broad branch programs and research activities; monitor and report on the status and progress of work.
- Prepare reports and maintain records of work accomplishment and administrative information
- Ensure the organization's strategic plan, mission, vision, and values are communicated to the team and integrated into the team's strategies, goals, objectives, work plans and work products and services.
- Design conduct, coordinate in-house and field laboratory assistance for outbreaks of bacterial meningitis, and investigations of unexplained febrile illnesses, as well as for surveillance of these diseases.
- Determine additional areas of research that must be explored to address critical national and priority organizational unit objectives. Participate in determining requirements for mapping future program direction and long-range planning.
- Conduct research on methods of molecular subtyping and strain virulence and prevalence of the etiologic agents of these diseases, and develops molecular diagnostic methods for detection of target genes directly in clinical materials.
- Develop laboratory manuals to conduct in-house and field training in isolation and molecular sub-typing of agents of bacterial meningitis. Perform research biological science work or biological science support work in several areas of specialization bacterial meningitis, and unexplained febrile illness.
- Determine study requirements, resources, equipment needs, etc. Identify methods and procedures to collect data, and conducts experiments and studies, making adjustments in methods and procedures as appropriate during the course of the studies or experiments.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Back to top
A bachelor's (or graduate) degree in microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent; OR
Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included courses as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-13 level of difficulty and responsibility in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience in leading a multidisciplinary team of scientists in coordinating and conducting laboratory research that targets preventable bacterial diseases such as Meningitis.
Foreign Education :
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit:
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
7. Bargaining Unit Position: No
8. Drug Screening Required: No
9. Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: Not Authorized.
10. Annual Leave for non-federal service authorized: Not Authorized.
11. Research position: Yes: Since this is a research position, an evaluation of the scientific contributions, recognition and professional standing of the researcher as they relate to the position being filled will be made to determine qualifications. Candidates should include all pertinent information regarding their research accomplishments, e.g. list of publications and presentations.
12. Immunization Required: Yes
13. Promotion potential: No
14. Supervisory position: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
Ability to direct a scientific research program. Skill in directing laboratory investigation of Meningitis outbreaks. Ability to plan, direct, and evaluate domestic and international laboratory activities. Knowledge of bacterial molecular testing (detection and/or genotyping) principles and applications. Knowledge of the extant literature and scientific approaches taken by professional peers. Knowledge of bioinformatics and next-generation sequencing. Skill in oral communication.
BENEFITS: Back to top The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits .
OTHER INFORMATION: If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
usajobs.gov - 4 months ago