The Lead Software Developer will act as an internal programming expert/mentor. Uses a wide application of complex principles, theories, and concepts in the specific field, plus may have working knowledge of other related disciplines and provide solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Completes work on complex projects or tasks. Analyzes and evaluates existing or proposed systems and devices or modifies procedures to process data and solve problems. Reviews schedules, cost and documentation to ensure success of projects. Typically deals with users to determine appropriate requirements of complex systems. May coordinate activities of project team and act as a source for direction, training and guidance for less experienced departmental staff. Promotes quality, productivity, and reliability of information systems using broad-based skill set. Analyzes and recommends information system innovations and opportunities to management. Mentors and guides developers in the use of WDS coding standards as well as assisting with technical task management of a team of developers
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Very strong design and architecture skill-set, with excellent interpersonal skills to guide and lead discussions.
• Has cutting edge knowledge and extensive enterprise level solution design experience to lead architecture discussions, create Architecture Briefs and Specs, interact with Enterprise Architects and senior management.
• Ability to collaborate with PMO/senior management on enterprise project portfolio planning, high level estimations of entire projects, assist with resource planning and allocations.
• Takes the lead to develop systems and architecture road-map for the team.
• Provides guidance to QA Leads in terms of test automation and regression strategies to make testing efforts more automated and efficient.
• Can wear the management hat in absence of the Dev Manager.
• Ability to research, estimate and communicate enterprise level impacts of projects, new platforms and technologies. Consults internally with I.T. staff and WDS management and staff on the analysis, design, implementation, and troubleshooting of information systems.
• Perform risk analysis, using unique knowledge and skill set, to improve staff products and reduce risks to production and end-user systems.
• Develops and recommends effective methods and procedures which promote quality, productivity, and reliability of information systems; develop standards.
• Performs all departmental functions at expert level; provides staff leadership, coaching, and teaching.
• Analyzes, designs, modifies, develops, writes and implements software programming applications to complex/business problems/opportunities.
• Supports and/or installs software applications/operating systems.
• Designs, plans, and coordinates work teams.
• Provides technical support to project team members.
• Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
• Facilitates definition and implementation of I.T. procedures and standards.
• Researches, analyzes, and apprises management of technology changes/ implications and makes recommendations.
• Can meet with users to identify requirements and resolve problems.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Schedules and directs work of assigned systems analysts and/or programmer analysts on projects they lead.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Data Analysis & Structure Design
Programming and Project Methodology & Standards
MS SQL Server
VB & VB Script
Transformation tools (SQL, DTS, Data Stage, etc…)
Testing tools (Mercury, Rational Rose, etc…)
Reporting Tools (Crystal, Reporting Services, etc…)
Other Programming Languages (COBOL, C#, etc…)
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year College or university; or 4-6 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Washington Dental Service - 5 months ago
Washington Dental Service, a member of the Delta Dental Plans Association, is the leading dental benefits company in the state of...